Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I hate putting it together myself!

Posted by   + Show Post

I really do.  I love curriculum.  I love looking at all the different types and ideas out there.  I HATE putting together what will work for my children.  For the first 5 years I used a complete box.  My daughter loved it and it was easy for me.  The last year of the box curriculum was because I didn't like what they had put in for science and I couldn't just not buy it from this place so I had to put together my own thing for everything.  That first year I did, it bombed and my husband was mad at me and my daughter hated school.  The next year wasn't any better.  This year I did a mix of Sonlight and adding to it.  It has gone a lot better, but we are not going to use Sonlight next year, we didn't even really use it except for the books and dictation.  

My husband is going to file our tax return, I have until we get the money back to find EVERYTHING we are going to use next year.  He will buy it in one lump sum and be done.  If something doesn't work, I have to use it or change it with something free.  So now I"m looking at so much it's making my head spin.  My son will be doing PK/K/1 stuff.  My daughter will be doing 7/8/9 stuff.

Literature we are using study guides.

Saxon Algebra 1/2

SciSaurus with the Daybooks.

History - lterature based- ???

Writing - Jump In - my daughter hates writing

Grammar - Easy Grammar 

Phonics and lots of books

Math in Focus

Science

Social Studies

Did I say I hate pulling together stuff?

by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 4:40 PM
Replies (21-22):
DyslexiaParent
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Are you working on phonics because your DD struggles with reading? If so, you might want to consider some of the online programs that help kids who struggle with reading.  Since you said she hates textbooks, using computer-based interactive learning might engage her better and make it easier for you.

There are a bunch of online reading programs listed at http://learningabledkids.com/reading/online-interactive-reading-games-and-programs.htm.  There are programs listed there for typical learners and others for those with learning difficulties in reading.  For learning difficulties, I like LexiaLearning.com's reading program best.  It's what we used.

If the online programs seem a good fit, you can find online programs for other subjects too.  There are a bunch of free programs listed at http://learningabledkids.com/multi_sensory_training/free-multisensory-curriculum-online.htm.

Hope maybe that gives you some ideas about options.  It's tough to figure out what will work for each child.  Also, one member mentioned Oak Meadow.. A lot of people like their program packages.

Quoting Silverkitty:

This year I did a mix of Sonlight and adding to it.  It has gone a lot better, but we are not going to use Sonlight next year, we didn't even really use it except for the books and dictation. My daughter will be doing 7/8/9 stuff.

Saxon Algebra 1/2

Grammar - Easy Grammar 

Math in Focus

Science

Social Studies

SandyKC
M.S. Instructional Design, Veteran Homeschooling Mom of "Light of My Life" Boys,
Special Education Advocate, Author, Academic Achievement Consultant

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

The second list is for my son, I thought I had put that, but apparently that stayed in my head.

Thank you for the links, I had seen it before but couldn't find it again.  I wanted to reread a few thins..

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

Are you working on phonics because your DD struggles with reading? If so, you might want to consider some of the online programs that help kids who struggle with reading.  Since you said she hates textbooks, using computer-based interactive learning might engage her better and make it easier for you.

There are a bunch of online reading programs listed at http://learningabledkids.com/reading/online-interactive-reading-games-and-programs.htm.  There are programs listed there for typical learners and others for those with learning difficulties in reading.  For learning difficulties, I like LexiaLearning.com's reading program best.  It's what we used.

If the online programs seem a good fit, you can find online programs for other subjects too.  There are a bunch of free programs listed at http://learningabledkids.com/multi_sensory_training/free-multisensory-curriculum-online.htm.

Hope maybe that gives you some ideas about options.  It's tough to figure out what will work for each child.  Also, one member mentioned Oak Meadow.. A lot of people like their program packages.

Quoting Silverkitty:

This year I did a mix of Sonlight and adding to it.  It has gone a lot better, but we are not going to use Sonlight next year, we didn't even really use it except for the books and dictation. My daughter will be doing 7/8/9 stuff.

Saxon Algebra 1/2

Grammar - Easy Grammar 

Math in Focus

Science

Social Studies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN