Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Building vocabulary ideas

Posted by   + Show Post
My 6 year old has come a looong way since August. He started off on a K level and now he's on a beginning 2nd grade level for reading comprehension, phonics, and sight words, but beginning first grade for vocabulary. Not too surprising since he has a mild/moderate language delay, but I'm looking for ways to build his vocabulary. Any ideas?
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:52 PM
His receptive language is better than his expressive, but that's not so great either. Fortunately he isn't afraid to ask what words mean.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Is it that he doesn't understand a broad vocabulary, or that he doesn't use it? My husband has a very wide vocab, but he's much plainer in style than I am. My DS is the same - I know he has an excellent vocab, but my DD is the one who uses it.

Quoting Bluecalm: I think I lost part of my post. I read to him all the time and I use a rich vocabulary when I speak to him. I also build on his conversation to give him new words. My 3 year old has a good vocabulary and uses adjectives and adverbs in his sentences. My 6 year old speaks in a much simpler style.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:53 PM
I also just had one post repeat itself a bunch of times.

Quoting usmom3:

I have been having trouble with it too!

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Ok. So it's not just me with the problem posting tonight. I thought I broke the interwebz again!

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:01 PM
Thanks, that gives me hope. It's tough watching my 3 year old passing him by.

Quoting usmom3:

It will come to him just keep doing what you are doing! Both of my sons are on the Autism Spectrum & they have struggled with vocabulary, but it has gotten better as they have grown & matured.

Quoting Bluecalm: I think I lost part of my post. I read to him all the time and I use a rich vocabulary when I speak to him. I also build on his conversation to give him new words. My 3 year old has a good vocabulary and uses adjectives and adverbs in his sentences. My 6 year old speaks in a much simpler style.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I know it is hard but know that he is learning it he just has not figured out how to use it yet!

Quoting Bluecalm: Thanks, that gives me hope. It's tough watching my 3 year old passing him by.

Quoting usmom3:

It will come to him just keep doing what you are doing! Both of my sons are on the Autism Spectrum & they have struggled with vocabulary, but it has gotten better as they have grown & matured.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:10 PM

I saw that! Mine has been acting like it dose not post my replies but when I check in another tab it is there! Maybe CafeMom is working on some things & messing all of us up!

Quoting Bluecalm: I also just had one post repeat itself a bunch of times.

Quoting usmom3:

I have been having trouble with it too!

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Ok. So it's not just me with the problem posting tonight. I thought I broke the interwebz again!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I use the Isabel Beck method for teaching vocabulary.  It uses a short list of really good words each week.  So we do 6-10 words, but they are words like exasperated.  I give them a word out of something I am reading to them that week.  They see it used in the literature.  We define it.  Then all week I ask them a bunch of yes and no questions. Like:  The woman tried 15 times to put her dollar in the vending machine.  Is she exasperated?  The little boy read all 5 pages with no mistakes.  Is he exasperated?  

It doesn't build the vocabulary quickly, but kids that are taught in this way usually have a deeper understanding of the words and build a lexicon instead.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:17 AM

I do the same thing.  sometimes I just can't think of the word.

I would make a game out of it.  Pick a vocabulary word and see who can use the word the most .  Keep a tally the winner gets something special the next day.  They get to pick a field trip or a special board game to play.  Whatever you want.  Vocabuary should be hands on.  Make a large project.  Maybe for his age print of words and definitions and make a large 3D structure with the words and meanings.  Find books that use the words you are working on.  His vocab will increase once his reading on his own.  Do you read classics together?  Audio books are also great to listen to while in the car and going about your day.  You could also make an art project out of a vocab word.  

coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:41 AM

My 5 1/2 yo has a HUGE vocabulary.  Her Dad and I spoke to her using regular language instead of breaking things down for her.  She was using words like frustrated at 3.

My almost 8 yo we adopted from a family member nearly 2 years ago.  She was not read to on a regular basis and was spoke to like she was a baby even at the age of 6.  This has stunted her vocabulary considerably.  She is now on target for her age with her vocabulary, reading and comprehension.

I however LOVE the suggestions of making vocabulary a hands on thing....I just think we may play Scrabble today (which hasn't seen the light of day in years), since it is dreary and raining today.  I haven't been reading to them either....for atleast a year now and I think I may pick that back up starting with Rebecca of Stoneybrook Farm because they want to watch the movie.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Both of these! I had a large vocabulary when I was younger thanks to my mom. She always used big, colorful, expressive words when talkin to us. She also read us adult chapter books every night starting at 9 or so.

Quoting usmom3:

I agree with this! I also think if you use big words when talking to him he will learn them understand what they mean & then you will start to notice him using them as well!

My kids where using words like conundrum, exasperated, astounded & flabbergasted when they where 6 & 7 because I used them!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Read to him! Read him chapter books. Then read to him some more. Seriously, reading is the best way to increase vocabulary.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I like this idea. I'm think I'm going to start off with concepts he has trouble with like sequencing and develop that vocabulary first. This morning he missed a question because he didn't know "beginning" meant at the start of the story.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I use the Isabel Beck method for teaching vocabulary.  It uses a short list of really good words each week.  So we do 6-10 words, but they are words like exasperated.  I give them a word out of something I am reading to them that week.  They see it used in the literature.  We define it.  Then all week I ask them a bunch of yes and no questions. Like:  The woman tried 15 times to put her dollar in the vending machine.  Is she exasperated?  The little boy read all 5 pages with no mistakes.  Is he exasperated?  

It doesn't build the vocabulary quickly, but kids that are taught in this way usually have a deeper understanding of the words and build a lexicon instead.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN