Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Building vocabulary ideas

Posted by   + Show Post
My 6 year old has come a looong way since August. He started off on a K level and now he's on a beginning 2nd grade level for reading comprehension, phonics, and sight words, but beginning first grade for vocabulary. Not too surprising since he has a mild/moderate language delay, but I'm looking for ways to build his vocabulary. Any ideas?
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:11 PM
Replies (21-26):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Introduction to another language is HUGE.  DH only speaks French to our kids and it amazes me what it does for them.  It's like they have more words to grab from.  When they don't know the English word they tell me the French one.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:18 PM
Hmmm, maybe it's time to start. My dh is Cajun and wants them to learn French. His mother only spoke French when she talked to her sisters, but she didn't teach her kids to speak it because in her generation they were punished for speaking French in school. My dh just knows a little. I studied French all through school but have only used it to listen in on my MIL's conversations lol.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

Introduction to another language is HUGE.  DH only speaks French to our kids and it amazes me what it does for them.  It's like they have more words to grab from.  When they don't know the English word they tell me the French one.

julesjerry
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:06 PM

My daughter is six and she has slight language delay. I bought this picture dictionary and we read every day 5 new words from that. It has fun colorful picture with explanation.  I don't know how many words she will take. But it is worth a try.

Sorry for the question from your question : How did you know he is in 2nd grade level. Is there any kind of testing available?  I am looking to find out for my daughter. Is there any website to take assessment or ----? suggestion please.

Quoting Bluecalm: My 6 year old has come a looong way since August. He started off on a K level and now he's on a beginning 2nd grade level for reading comprehension, phonics, and sight words, but beginning first grade for vocabulary. Not too surprising since he has a mild/moderate language delay, but I'm looking for ways to build his vocabulary. Any ideas?

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I remember my spectrum child just started talking like a 40 y/o with an MBA one day. It had all been percolating in his brain until he was suddenly ready to use it!

Quoting usmom3:

I know it is hard but know that he is learning it he just has not figured out how to use it yet!

Quoting Bluecalm: Thanks, that gives me hope. It's tough watching my 3 year old passing him by.

Quoting usmom3:

It will come to him just keep doing what you are doing! Both of my sons are on the Autism Spectrum & they have struggled with vocabulary, but it has gotten better as they have grown & matured.

Quoting Bluecalm: I think I lost part of my post. I read to him all the time and I use a rich vocabulary when I speak to him. I also build on his conversation to give him new words. My 3 year old has a good vocabulary and uses adjectives and adverbs in his sentences. My 6 year old speaks in a much simpler style.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Reading Eggs has an assessment and so does K5Learning, both free when you do the trial membership. It's done for placement in the program.

Quoting julesjerry:

My daughter is six and she has slight language delay. I bought this picture dictionary and we read every day 5 new words from that. It has fun colorful picture with explanation.  I don't know how many words she will take. But it is worth a try.

Sorry for the question from your question : How did you know he is in 2nd grade level. Is there any kind of testing available?  I am looking to find out for my daughter. Is there any website to take assessment or ----? suggestion please.

Quoting Bluecalm: My 6 year old has come a looong way since August. He started off on a K level and now he's on a beginning 2nd grade level for reading comprehension, phonics, and sight words, but beginning first grade for vocabulary. Not too surprising since he has a mild/moderate language delay, but I'm looking for ways to build his vocabulary. Any ideas?

julesjerry
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:51 PM

thank you

Quoting Bluecalm: Reading Eggs has an assessment and so does K5Learning, both free when you do the trial membership. It's done for placement in the program.

Quoting julesjerry:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)