Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My 9 year old son can tell time!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:14 PM
  • 18 Replies
3 moms liked this

I am soo excited! I never thought I'd be this happy that one of my kids can read a clock,lol.

I've tried teaching him before but he couldn't grasp the concept. Then yesterday while we were reading Life of Fred, something just clicked. I could see the wheels turning as he looked at the page and told me what time it was. I don't know who was prouder, me or him,lol. He's been telling me the time all day since then. I love it!

He just seems to be growing by leaps and bounds recently. I don't know what it is. Just today he went outside and initiated play with some neighborhood kids. They didn't speak English but that didn't seem to bother anyone. They played for two hours before I had to call him home. Then tonight, he tried three new foods and didn't gag on anything! Followed by two bowls of salad and an apple.

I just want to pinch myself!

*Background. For those who don't know, my son has mild autism. That makes these milestones that much sweeter :-)

by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this

That is awesome!!! :)  My son is autistic so I know how exciting these things are.  It's awesome when they MAKE A CHOICE to socialize.

We are still working on telling time LOL.  He can read the clock just fine, he just cant understand how it relates to his daily life.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes! I've tried I don't know how many times to get him to play with kids. He either climbs a tree, hides under a table, goes like a statue or gets super goofy. I gave up then he goes ahead and does this,lol.

Ah, yes. We've done picture schedules and the like. Really, one day he just pops up and "gets it".

How old is your ds?

Quoting irvinehiker:

That is awesome!!! :)  My son is autistic so I know how exciting these things are.  It's awesome when they MAKE A CHOICE to socialize.

We are still working on telling time LOL.  He can read the clock just fine, he just cant understand how it relates to his daily life.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Ah, yes. I've tried to get my son do so many things.  Eat politiely, play with others, be on a schedule, dress correctly (matching).  But, I have learned time and time again that it's not about me at all.  When I just sit back and let him be who he is, things fall into place.  I try to live unconditionally with both my kids.  I guess it's about choosing your battles and deciding what's important at the end of the day.

Quoting paganbaby:

Yes! I've tried I don't know how many times to get him to play with kids. He either climbs a tree, hides under a table, goes like a statue or gets super goofy. I gave up then he goes ahead and does this,lol.

Ah, yes. We've done picture schedules and the like. Really, one day he just pops up and "gets it".

How old is your ds?

Quoting irvinehiker:

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:57 PM
2 moms liked this
That's great!
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:57 PM
2 moms liked this
That is so wonderful! I'm so happy for you! Both of you. :)
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this
*smile*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Yay!  I'm so happy for the both of you!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:43 AM
2 moms liked this
Yay!
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:47 AM
2 moms liked this
Hooray!!!!
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:15 AM
2 moms liked this
That is so awesome! I am happy for you both!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)