Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

writing...

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM
  • 3 Replies
My son is 7 and in second grade. This is the first year that we've worked on writing. He wrote a 3 sentenced story comparing apples and oranges.

Comparing Apples and Oranges

First apples and oranges are similar because they both grow from trees. Second they are both fruits. Third both, an apple and an orange, are edible.

Do you think this is ok for his level? We're working on more details and elaborating more but this is his third short story. So I'm looking for opinions.
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

That sounds awesome, especially since you recently began writing. I'd probably go back to this short story, after he has learned a bit more, and he can break up the 3 ideas into 3 paragraphs, using them as the main idea. But it sounds like you are definitely in the right track.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:42 PM
Yea I'm not sure when to actually go into paragraphs with him. I'm using the Winning with Writing program and started at level 1 since I didn't do writing last year. I'm just going with what it's telling him to do. Next year, he'll have to take the state exams and I'm hoping that I'm doing enough for him to pass the english portion. I know he is going to blow the math portion away.

Quoting KickButtMama:

That sounds awesome, especially since you recently began writing. I'd probably go back to this short story, after he has learned a bit more, and he can break up the 3 ideas into 3 paragraphs, using them as the main idea. But it sounds like you are definitely in the right track.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:47 PM

I'm sure that at some point the program will explain about 'supporting ideas' then you can pull out these early stories and expand on them. 

Quoting chotovec82: Yea I'm not sure when to actually go into paragraphs with him. I'm using the Winning with Writing program and started at level 1 since I didn't do writing last year. I'm just going with what it's telling him to do. Next year, he'll have to take the state exams and I'm hoping that I'm doing enough for him to pass the english portion. I know he is going to blow the math portion away.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN