Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So... who is thinking about next year and planning?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am! I am! I am! (of course, lol)

Autumn will still be at her brick and mortar private school, but Nico will be home and I'll have the Toddler Monster to deal with.

What are you guys planning, curriculum-wise, for next year?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Okay, I totally apologize up front if I am wrong, But..... I know that Lutheran is very close Liturgically to the Catholic Church.  So I was wondering if Making Music Praying Twice does any of the O Antephones, the doxology, the benediction, the Kyrie, and does it teach Donas Noblis Pacem in the round?  I'm looking for something that will teach the boys more along the Lutheran lines since that's where we plan on taking them for Communion.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

We're already using Making Music, Praying Twice. It's great. We're blessed that my FIL is a private music teacher and owns a music shoppe up north, so he sent the suggested instruments (which are minimal but FUN).

It is a Catholic program, and I know that may be an issue for some. The CDs are split according to the liturgical year according to the church; the CDs all have normal, fun, classic children's songs, and also some prayers, chants, and catholic hymns. The home instructor's manual and song books are great too.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Me too!  Me too!  LOL :)

Pearson had the following on sale during Christmas, so these are waiting on our new bookshelf:

4th Grade Purchases for next year:

Scott Foresman Science

Scott Foresman Social Studies, Video Field Trips for Social Studies (we've already watched these twice!), and Colonial Williamsburg interactive CD-Rom.

Reading Street

7th Grade Purchases:

Science Fusion - Unit C - the Human Body

My World Geography

Reading Street

The Great Homeschool Convention will be in Cincinnati April 24 - 26.  I'll pick up Second Form Latin from Memoria Press, our Math in Focus from Harcourt, and bring a rolling suitcase to shop at Rainbow Resources. :)

They just announced Cathy Duffy herself will be there, so I'm extremely excited about going.

Have you used Making Music, Praying Twice yet?  If so, do you like it?

My girls LOVE SongSchool Latin.  They sing the songs all the time, even while we're working with First Form.

MamaDearie
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:43 PM

I certainly have been thinking and planning. This is the current list of what is to be bought when we get our tax refund. It is subject to change but I think I really have finally figured it out. :-)

For Keiler:

CLE Bible, Reading, Language Arts, Math, Music, Art

Notgrass' America the Beautiful

Story of the World Volume 1

A Reason for Science E

Horizons Health 5th Grade

For Ruby:

CLE Bible, Reading, Language Arts, Math, Music, Art

Bede's History of US

Story of the World Volume 1

A Reason for Science A

Horizons Health 1st Grade

For Lucy:

Rod & Staff Bible Stories to Read/Bible Pictures to Color

MFW Kindergarten God's Creation A to Z

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Daisypath Valentines tickers
Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

I am a conservative Christian homeschooling mama of 3 who believes strongly in traditional families and traditional roles. 

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

What are you guys planning, curriculum-wise, for next year?

I'm the crazy nutjob who has planned what we'll be using all the way to 12th grade (subject to change, of course).  But next year ds will be in 8th grade and this is what we have planned:

• Literature:  Various 8th grade novels + online activities and guides
  • Writing:  Jump In (cont'd from 7th grade)
  • Math:  Saxon Algebra 1
  • History:  K12 Human Odyssey 2
  • Geography:  Runkle's Geography (cont'd from 7th grade)
  • Science:  Apologia Physical Science text and lab kit only (experiments only with lessons formed around them - text is just for me as a teaching tool)
  • Spanish:  Getting Started with Spanish (cont'd from 7th grade)
  • Current Events:  Channel One News (online, for teens)
  • Religion:  CCD (Confirmation year)
  • P.E.:  Muay Thai boxing + Brazilian Ju Jitsu (3-4x a week)
  • Health, Practical Arts, & Technology:  Informal, yet frequent
celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:48 PM

We will continue on with our history (Pandia Press) and LA (MCT and IEW) for sure. We LOVE them.

Math is going well and I like our curriculum choices (Singapore). I have added in some other misc resources, worked on math journals, and have done some interesting projects. However, I am looking to incorporate even more creative projects next year. So I have been on the look out for books and ideas related to this. 

I am clueless for Science next year. This year we will finish all that Pandia Press offers. I would LOVE to pull science and math together maybe. I really have to look more indepth at what is out there (secular stuff). I wanted to cover nutrition this year but didn't have time for it. Maybe next year I will do a nutrition / human body type class for science. 

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:51 PM
I am! I am! Lol!

My soon to be 3rd grader:

Explode the Code- Wanting to find more reading curriculum for the extra supplement tho.
Life of Fred (2-3x a week)
Math U See Gamma
1st Language lessons/Growing with Grammar- I have 1st language lessons free so we're gonna give it a try. HOwever, if it's not working as well as GWG did then we're switching back.
Handwriting without tears.
Writing with Ease/Winning with Writing- We are currently using WWW but we're going to try WWE next year. If WWE doesn't work as well then we'll go back to WWW.
Sequential Spelling.
We have a science curriculum but I can't remember the name. It's a Christian one tho also I'm gonna supplement with the Ron Paul curriclum.
History Odyssey and a little supplementing with The Ron Paul curriculum.
Tons of books from the library to read, poems to analyze, reading comprehension, etc...
I'm sure we'll probably do some more work with The Health Detectives Curriculum that I am currently working on and the Geography curriculum that we currently have if we don't finish it over the summer.

For my soon to be 1st grader:

Explode the Code but also looking for extra reading supplemental curriculum.
1st language lessons
Life of Fred (2-3x a week)
Math U See Alpha
Writing with Ease
Writing without Tears
Sequential Spelling
We'll probably follow the Ron Paul Curriculum for Science and History and tag along with older brother.
Tons of books from the library and poems to read an analyze. Reading comprehension and the works.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Quoting celtic77dragon:

I am! I will continue on with our history and LA for sure. We LOVE them. Math is doing good and I like our curriculum choices - but I want to find more creative ideas. I am clueless for Science next year. This year we will finish all that Pandia Press offers. I would LOVE to pull science and math together maybe. I really have to look at what is out there (secular stuff).  

<<< pssst - Ellen McHenry science is AMAZING>>>

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 4:03 PM

It looks amazing. I have had my eye on that for awhile. I just don't know if it is enough. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting celtic77dragon:

I am! I will continue on with our history and LA for sure. We LOVE them. Math is doing good and I like our curriculum choices - but I want to find more creative ideas. I am clueless for Science next year. This year we will finish all that Pandia Press offers. I would LOVE to pull science and math together maybe. I really have to look at what is out there (secular stuff).  

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Oh, it's plenty. If it makes you feel any better, my husband (degrees in engineering and physics related fields) loves the program and believes it one of the most rigorous, fun programs out there for children not ready for algebra/math based upper level sciences. It is always our choice for grades 3/4 - 8 (unless ready for algebra based sciences by grade 8). It is PLENTY enough.

Quoting celtic77dragon:

It looks amazing. I have had my eye on that for awhile. I just don't know if it is enough. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting celtic77dragon:

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Would you suggest any type of order to covering it. It just seems random on her site and some, like the brain, only take a few weeks to cover.  

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Oh, it's plenty. If it makes you feel any better, my husband (degrees in engineering and physics related fields) loves the program and believes it one of the most rigorous, fun programs out there for children not ready for algebra/math based upper level sciences. It is always our choice for grades 3/4 - 8 (unless ready for algebra based sciences by grade 8). It is PLENTY enough.

Quoting celtic77dragon:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting celtic77dragon:

coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 4:15 PM

We are planning to use the same curriculum for next year...so it will be easy.  My girls are really growing and learnign with this one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN