Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So... who is thinking about next year and planning?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am! I am! I am! (of course, lol)

Autumn will still be at her brick and mortar private school, but Nico will be home and I'll have the Toddler Monster to deal with.

What are you guys planning, curriculum-wise, for next year?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Replies (41-50):
Knightquester
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:18 PM

I'm thinking about it, even mentally preparing, but so far I'm unsure.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:21 PM

LOL AMEN!

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Ugh. Let me survive the day first. Maybe in a few months I can think about next year.

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:28 PM

It was a pretty short window.  They had one last summer too in late June or early July.  I'll make a post if they send an email about another one.

Quoting mem82:

Oh poo! I didn't know they had a sale going on. 8(

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Me too!  Me too!  LOL :)

Pearson had the following on sale during Christmas, so these are waiting on our new bookshelf:

4th Grade Purchases for next year:

Scott Foresman Science

Scott Foresman Social Studies, Video Field Trips for Social Studies (we've already watched these twice!), and Colonial Williamsburg interactive CD-Rom.

Reading Street

7th Grade Purchases:

Science Fusion - Unit C - the Human Body

My World Geography

Reading Street

The Great Homeschool Convention will be in Cincinnati April 24 - 26.  I'll pick up Second Form Latin from Memoria Press, our Math in Focus from Harcourt, and bring a rolling suitcase to shop at Rainbow Resources. :)

They just announced Cathy Duffy herself will be there, so I'm extremely excited about going.

Have you used Making Music, Praying Twice yet?  If so, do you like it?

My girls LOVE SongSchool Latin.  They sing the songs all the time, even while we're working with First Form.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks! I know they aren't trendy in the homeschool world but their text books do a great job. My ODD especially does well with them.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

It was a pretty short window.  They had one last summer too in late June or early July.  I'll make a post if they send an email about another one.

Quoting mem82:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Me too!  Me too!  LOL :)

Pearson had the following on sale during Christmas, so these are waiting on our new bookshelf:

4th Grade Purchases for next year:

Scott Foresman Science

Scott Foresman Social Studies, Video Field Trips for Social Studies (we've already watched these twice!), and Colonial Williamsburg interactive CD-Rom.

Reading Street

7th Grade Purchases:

Science Fusion - Unit C - the Human Body

My World Geography

Reading Street

The Great Homeschool Convention will be in Cincinnati April 24 - 26.  I'll pick up Second Form Latin from Memoria Press, our Math in Focus from Harcourt, and bring a rolling suitcase to shop at Rainbow Resources. :)

They just announced Cathy Duffy herself will be there, so I'm extremely excited about going.

Have you used Making Music, Praying Twice yet?  If so, do you like it?

My girls LOVE SongSchool Latin.  They sing the songs all the time, even while we're working with First Form.

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Sure!  We've been really happy with all of our books from them.  Comprehension Plus for my younger dd really boosted that area for her this year, and we've loved everything else too.

Quoting mem82:

Thanks! I know they aren't trendy in the homeschool world but their text books do a great job. My ODD especially does well with them.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting mem82:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

That's excellent.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Sure!  We've been really happy with all of our books from them.  Comprehension Plus for my younger dd really boosted that area for her this year, and we've loved everything else too.

Quoting mem82:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting mem82:

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Thanks, seriously.  Before this she would read only because it was assigned.  Now she's a reading hound and won't put her books down.  She went for her 9 year check up the other day and when our doctor asked her what her hobbies were she said "reading!"  :)

Quoting mem82:

That's excellent.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting mem82:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm hoping to make it there with my Cole!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Thanks, seriously.  Before this she would read only because it was assigned.  Now she's a reading hound and won't put her books down.  She went for her 9 year check up the other day and when our doctor asked her what her hobbies were she said "reading!"  :)

Quoting mem82:

That's excellent.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting mem82:

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:40 PM

It looks like we will be using Science Fusion this coming year.  I showed it to my daughter and she was like, it's science, but compared to the other science I was going to use, she was more interested in the Science Fusion. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

SciencFusion is very colorful, and detailed.  My older daughter loves it.  My younger daughter really likes it, but enjoys a book she can hold, so that's why she'll use Scott Foresman next year.  It's a bit of a pain getting used to the setup, and looking at the teacher's edition online instead of a book you can just pop open too.  I'd say it was the one with the biggest learning curve for me (this is our first hs year).

Here is a screen from Module A for 6th:

Here are the soft workbooks (6th on top, 3rd on the bottom); the girls both love having everything in one place:

All of the lab instructions for set up are great, and there is a huge glossary in each and extras too.  For 3rd that's a load of online books, and we've read through a lot of them.  For 6th (-8th those are Modules A - K) there are online resources like this:

I purchased ours from Pandemoniumbooksellers.  They give 20% off and free shipping; they just rearranged their whole website and it's not as easy to navigate.  This is the Harcourt branch of their website.  ScienceFusion is down towards the bottom.  I clicked on that and then clicked Grade 6, core curriculum.  The 6th-8th grade modules are $17.20.  Those $90+ prices are for teacher's books!  They must have just added those.  

Pearson has a similar science program, and it's less expensive for the younger grades.  I've never used it, but it sounds nice.  This is their website.

Quoting Silverkitty:

How is reading street and science fusion?

TidewaterClan
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:30 AM
If you order through Pandemonium you may want to call just to make sure I pointed you in the right direction.

The online lesson is always great, and the workbook pages for the rest of the unit are filled with information.

If you have trouble figuring out where everything is stored in SF just pm me and I'll help.

Quoting Silverkitty:

It looks like we will be using Science Fusion this coming year.  I showed it to my daughter and she was like, it's science, but compared to the other science I was going to use, she was more interested in the Science Fusion. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

SciencFusion is very colorful, and detailed.  My older daughter loves it.  My younger daughter really likes it, but enjoys a book she can hold, so that's why she'll use Scott Foresman next year.  It's a bit of a pain getting used to the setup, and looking at the teacher's edition online instead of a book you can just pop open too.  I'd say it was the one with the biggest learning curve for me (this is our first hs year).

Here is a screen from Module A for 6th:

Here are the soft workbooks (6th on top, 3rd on the bottom); the girls both love having everything in one place:

All of the lab instructions for set up are great, and there is a huge glossary in each and extras too.  For 3rd that's a load of online books, and we've read through a lot of them.  For 6th (-8th those are Modules A - K) there are online resources like this:

I purchased ours from Pandemoniumbooksellers.  They give 20% off and free shipping; they just rearranged their whole website and it's not as easy to navigate.  This is the Harcourt branch of their website.  ScienceFusion is down towards the bottom.  I clicked on that and then clicked Grade 6, core curriculum.  The 6th-8th grade modules are $17.20.  Those $90+ prices are for teacher's books!  They must have just added those.  

Pearson has a similar science program, and it's less expensive for the younger grades.  I've never used it, but it sounds nice.  This is their website.

Quoting Silverkitty:

How is reading street and science fusion?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN