Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Constitution and Ancient History??

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:05 PM
  • 8 Replies
Can we study both? We decided to so history in order when we pulled our kids and started hsing (they are in 5th and 6th grades). So we are doing Anciet Rome right now and discussing the Senate and Caeser. But I really want to make sure they have a good understanding of the constitution and bill of rights. Do you think we could do the constitution maybe once a week and ancients the other four days?
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

You can do it any way you please it is one of the many perks of homeschooling, you call the shots!

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

You can either do it that way when you are done with ancients do a civics course before medieval.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Sure!  You can do history 3 or 4 days a week and then call the other class civics or government and do it the other days.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:43 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm totally down with comparing our political/social system with Ancient Rome.  They provide a lot of the structure for us.  And why do we learn history?  To gain an understanding, and if you isolate, you fail to make those connections and the understanding is lost.  Of course, I'd stay studying Ancient Rome my whole life, so I may not be the best judge!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I would combine both.   The founders wrote the constitution and bill of rights using some of the best parts of government from different countries especially rome.  

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I started teaching both at the same time. Especially when discussing Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome - where a lot of our political ideas come from. 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Quoting usmom3:

You can do it any way you please it is one of the many perks of homeschooling, you call the shots!

I know I *can* do it, because really, we can do whatever we want, lol...I guess I was more wondering if I would confuse them.  My younger one is 10.5 and barely getting by with 5th grade work.  My older one is 11.5 and ready to move on from most 6th grade work.  I think I might teach more to the older one and do something a bit easier with the younger, but let her listen to and be part of discussions.  I think she will pick up on a lot, without having the expectations of it. 

I got the idea when I was searching for ideas for us to do with our neighbors and came across "critical thinking using the constitution" I really like this idea for my oldest to push him and make him really think, I don't think my younger one is ready for all of that, but I do think she's capable of picking up on ideas...I just don't want her to get frustrated when she doesn't 'get' it.  But she doesn't have to do what the older one does, she could just sit and color or something while we discuss. 

I guess I just want to make sure my kids know they have rights, I am really just learning what my rights are as an adult and I think I will get a stronger understanding and be able to help them become confident and independent thinkers.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't see why not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN