Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Other reading programs...

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:42 PM
  • 8 Replies
Besides All About Reading and Explode the Code. I'm already using Explode the Code with my will be first grader and will be third grader. I considered AAR but my eldest kid hated AAS so I'm a little unsure of how helpful it'll be. However, I want to supplement Explode the Code. Although I LOVE it; I'm not sure it's enough. We do read books and anything that we get our hands on and my eldest is above grade level, but I just want to make sure that there are no holes in his reading abilities. Any advice would be appreciated.
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Logic of English Foundations

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 4:21 PM
It helps with reading? So it's a reading program? Ok I'll look into that. I haven't heard of it before.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 4:23 PM
Hmmm.... only goes up to second grade level.... That looks good for my younger child but not good for my eldest. Ugh... I'm having such difficulty finding more programs for him. He reads at about a 3.5-4th grade level now.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Your little would do LOE foundations, but the other would LOE essentials.

It is a reading, spelling, and handwriting program.

ETA: Does he read well (the third grader)? I see no reason to do a phonics program once a child is reading very well. He will get what he needs (so far as rules, etc) from a spelling program at that point.

Quoting chotovec82: Hmmm.... only goes up to second grade level.... That looks good for my younger child but not good for my eldest. Ugh... I'm having such difficulty finding more programs for him. He reads at about a 3.5-4th grade level now.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 4:52 PM

I keep looking at this program.  Is it easy to use?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 5:09 PM

No clue. I hear great things about it. Frankly, I've never heard a bad review of it.

It's one of my shiny object syndrome things - I keep looking at it, reading reviews on it, asking about it. Lol.

Quoting Silverkitty:

I keep looking at this program.  Is it easy to use?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 6:00 PM
It's in second grade and he can read books that range anywhere from 2.5 AR grade level to 4.5 AR grade level books. So I guess he reads well?

http://www.arbookfind.com/default.aspx I use this site to check what level he's at when we choose books.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Your little would do LOE foundations, but the other would LOE essentials.

It is a reading, spelling, and handwriting program.

ETA: Does he read well (the third grader)? I see no reason to do a phonics program once a child is reading very well. He will get what he needs (so far as rules, etc) from a spelling program at that point.

Quoting chotovec82: Hmmm.... only goes up to second grade level.... That looks good for my younger child but not good for my eldest. Ugh... I'm having such difficulty finding more programs for him. He reads at about a 3.5-4th grade level now.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 30, 2014 at 6:50 PM

We used Reading Eggs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)