Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ugh, I hate planning for co-op..lol...I agreed to teach a Us History class comparing various texts (Like Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States) and comparing them to eachother and how certain historical events/ideas are presented from Hollywood and how this might change how others view us in the future. So I thought I'd get maybe 6 teens for the class, but I'm up to (gulp) 22!!!! Now I need ideas of Hollywood movies that can correspond..lol

i was thinking of doing Avatar for the first class, as no one will have the textbooks yet. This movie I similar in viewpoint to Colombus's 'discovery' and how many people say 'he wasn't nice, but he was just a product of his class and time). 

Some other historical movies...

Far & Away (westward expansion)

Amistad (slavery) 

Gone w/ The Wind (civil war)

but I was wondering, what movies you all like that describe points in US history?

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:45 PM
Replies (11-15):
shadowmoon
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Have you seen Centennial? It's a TV Mini series about expansion in the West.  You can buy it on DVD or you can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6C78F5FADBF6E050

http://freedomborders.blogspot.com

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:23 PM

I have 1 hour for each class, but the movies are their Homework, things they will watch at home between classes. I'm giving them suggested watching lists for different events/time periods/personalities, etc.

Quoting mem82:

How much time will you have in each class?

celtic77dragon
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 3:10 AM

I don't watch a lot of tv so I dont think I am of much help here.

JFK - the inaccuracy in that thing annoy the hell out of me!

I have a few others but they are not USA related.

Wasnt there a pearl harbor one? I know there was a somewhat recent Gettysburg one because it was a big deal around here at the time. There is that old Mel Gibson one with Heath Ledger... I think that was USA related. lol, I am a terrible help. 

celtic77dragon
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 3:21 AM

Hate to be annoying... but I am not sure that I understood the objective. Was it to point out the inaccuracys and see how we are viewed outside the USA?

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 1, 2014 at 9:34 AM

We are using textbooks, compared to each other, to see how the same historical event has been told in a variety of ways. Hollywood is another way of comparing how crazy people can get in telling history. But some of the movies also put historical concepts into ways kids can understand. For instance, Avatar is in no way a real prepresentation (obviously) but when it comes to the colonization of the New World (West Indies and America) some of the atrocities that had been committed have been excused by people as being 'representative of huge times'. Like Columbus was a jerk, some people say we should still celebrate Columbus Day because it really wasn't his fault that he was such a horrible person, that he was just representative of his class and time. The way the aliens are treated in Avatar is very similar to how the West Indians were treated upon Columbus' arival. While reading about atrocities is important, sometimes (with teens especially) you need to put concepts into mediums they can understand or that intrigue them.  Hence the movie component to the class. 

The class is not a bullet-point by point of US history. It's a discussion of the variety (and thus inaccuracies) of ways history is told and how can we trust what we are reading/learning, are there common denominators, were the stories told only by victors? Etc. Make sense?

Quoting celtic77dragon:

Hate to be annoying... but I am not sure that I understood the objective. Was it to point out the inaccuracys and see how we are viewed outside the USA?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)