Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Shiny object syndrome things

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 5:28 PM
  • 16 Replies

Sooo what are some of your shiny object syndrome things?  

All in one

Moving beyond the page

Oak Meadow

Calvert Homeschool

Seperate subjects

Logic of English

Science Fusion

Noeo Science

Reading Street

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 5:39 PM

LOL!  I love this!  

Can Do Science
I Can Do That (Cat in the Hat Game).

Most of my Shiny Object Syndrome is for the littles.  I've gotten much better about picking good stuff.  But some of my shiny objects ended up great finds.  I bought Adventures In Science Electricity at a yard sale for 50 cents and the kids have gobbled it up!  I bought a Draw and Write Journal that was awesome and I've changed to all of those for our journal entries because they are so wonderful! 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 5:43 PM

My shiny object things are resources I have purchased before, or that I'm looking TO purchase - but know I haven't the time to do all of them; usually duplicate types of programs (i.e. several phonics programs, several math programs, etc). The logical Aimee knows that I have to stick with one publisher/type or I'll confuse The Kid - but the illogical Aimee wants to try them ALLLL. Lol.

Phonics:

LOE Foundations

AAR

Dancing Bears

Spelling:

AAS

Apples and Pears (I've done this with my eldest, dyslexic daughter, but not my son)

Catholic Heritage Spelling

History:

RC History (probably going to try this fall with Kinder Boy)

SOTW (I can use volume 1, but after that the books aren't conducive with our faith, so I hesitate to start the series knowing I won't use the other books)

Math:

Horizons (used with older)

CLE (using with Kinder Boy this now and this fall)

Right Start

Comp:

IEW (used with older)

Science:

Behold and See series (Catholic Heritage) - I'll probably use this with The Kid at some point

Apologia (wish it weren't protestant/YE - I won't use it for that reason, but it's a pretty temptation!)

Ellen McHenry (used with older - just waiting for Kinder Boy to age up a bit)

All-In-Ones:

Calvert (wish they weren't aligned!)

Oak Meadow (philosophy - waldorf - not conducive with our faith, and too gentle for our tastes, but I love the incorporation of art)

Kolbe

Seton

CHC

Memoria Press

.... I won't use an all-in-one, no matter how much I love it, because Kinder Boy isn't at the same level across the board, in all subjects. I *might* try a Memoria Press package, with some substitutions though - I'm considering it seriously.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:11 PM
I'm pretty happy with our curriculum, but I wouldn't mind seeing all about reading in person.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:15 PM

I got a bunch of Calvert's stuff from 10+ years ago from a neighbor and it is truly awesome!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

My shiny object things are resources I have purchased before, or that I'm looking TO purchase - but know I haven't the time to do all of them; usually duplicate types of programs (i.e. several phonics programs, several math programs, etc). The logical Aimee knows that I have to stick with one publisher/type or I'll confuse The Kid - but the illogical Aimee wants to try them ALLLL. Lol.

Phonics:

LOE Foundations

AAR

Dancing Bears

Spelling:

AAS

Apples and Pears (I've done this with my eldest, dyslexic daughter, but not my son)

History:

SOTW (I can use volume 1, but after that the books aren't conducive with our faith, so I hesitate to start the series knowing I won't use the other books)

Math:

Right Start

Comp:

IEW (used with older)

Science:

Behold and See series (Catholic Heritage) - I'll probably use this with The Kid at some point

Apologia (wish it weren't protestant/YE - I won't use it for that reason, but it's a pretty temptation!)

All-In-Ones:

Oak Meadow (philosophy - waldorf - not conducive with our faith, and too gentle for our tastes, but I love the incorporation of art)

Kolbe

Seton

CHC

Memoria Press

.... I won't use an all-in-one, no matter how much I love it, because Kinder Boy isn't at the same level across the board, in all subjects. I *might* try a Memoria Press package, with some substitutions though - I'm considering it seriously.

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:19 PM

If you like Calvert (but do not like that they are aligned) and do not agree with SOTW ... have you looked at "A Childs History Of The World". Calvert uses it and we have loved it so far. I am not Catholic though, so I am not sure how well it aligns up to your beliefs.  

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Phonics:

LOE Foundations

AAR

Dancing Bears

Spelling:

AAS

History:

Math:

Right Start

Comp:

IEW (used with older)

Science:

All-In-Ones:

Kolbe

Seton

CHC

Memoria Press

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm confused...what areShiny Object Syndrome Things?

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Love CHOW. My boy is too young for it by several years, though. When I had it, they definitely meant it when they lined it up with their grade 4 program. I don't think I would use it until second or third grade at least. The wording used is... old, lol.

Quoting celtic77dragon:

If you like Calvert (but do not like that they are aligned) and do not agree with SOTW ... have you looked at "A Childs History Of The World". Calvert uses it and we have loved it so far. I am not Catholic though, so I am not sure how well it aligns up to your beliefs.  

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Phonics:

LOE Foundations

AAR

Dancing Bears

Spelling:

AAS

History:

Math:

Right Start

Comp:

IEW (used with older)

Science:

All-In-Ones:

Kolbe

Seton

CHC

Memoria Press

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Interesting. I am using it with Pandia Press - It has both SOTW and CHOW as spines for level 1 (classical approach). However, I also happen to have 4th graders using it, lol. So I have no idea if it would actually be suitable for the younger intended ages that level 1 usually is geared towards (grades 1-4). I seem to appreciate the book more than my kids though - and that is with 4th graders as the audience of it. I have been trying so hard to develop a passion for history with my kids. They are just so much more bent towards math and science though. They use to HATE Language Arts and they now have developed a love for that. So maybe a love for history will eventually develop as well. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Love CHOW. My boy is too young for it by several years, though. When I had it, they definitely meant it when they lined it up with their grade 4 program. I don't think I would use it until second or third grade at least. The wording used is... old, lol.

Quoting celtic77dragon:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Things you would love to have, or used and would use again.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I'm confused...what areShiny Object Syndrome Things?

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Well, and that's my other issue with CHOW. I like that SOTW has activities to do with it - CHOW is just a book (although there is a WORKbook you can buy with it).

Luckily RC History has activities and follows the classical approach to history - and it's Catholic... and it has activities!

My kids are more stem geared too :P

Quoting celtic77dragon:

Interesting. I am using it with Pandia Press - It has both SOTW and CHOW as spines for level 1 (classical approach). However, I also happen to have 4th graders using it, lol. So I have no idea if it would actually be suitable for the younger intended ages that level 1 usually is geared towards (grades 1-4). I seem to appreciate the book more than my kids though - and that is with 4th graders as the audience of it. I have been trying so hard to develop a passion for history with my kids. They are just so much more bent towards math and science though. They use to HATE Language Arts and they now have developed a love for that. So maybe a love for history will eventually develop as well. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting celtic77dragon:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)