Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you using the Olympics as a teaching theme?

Posted by   + Show Post

Just curious if you had any ideas to share.....

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I love Pinterest, thanks for sharing!

Quoting hwblyf:

So there are a ton of unit studies out there.  I've not found ONE that I like, so we're doing a hodgepodge of stuff.  I've pinned a bunch of sites:

http://www.pinterest.com/hwblyf/social-studies/

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Last Olympics (London), we made a dinner of English and Olympic-themed foods to eat while we watched the opening ceremonies. We are planning to do that again. For London, we had fish & chips, a dessert made of lemon curd, and then I made a blue jello "pool" (13x9 clear pyrex) and we used red twizzlers to mark the swimming lanes and put little lego people in there swimming. It was a lot of fun.

For Russia, I have been googling various Russian dishes (we are  less familiar with Russian cuisine!). Black bread sounds promising, as do pierogies, but I'm not 100% set on a menu yet. My son wants to build a snowboarding dessert involving vanilla ice cream and lego minifigs. 

We will probably talk about Russia a bit on next Friday in preparation for this, but  nothing major. The opening ceremonies give you a lot of background on the country's history and culture.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:49 AM
I'm bored beyond comprehension by any Olympic event. Even as a young gymnast, I could never watch it. The winter events are even worse. But I don't watch much tv anyway,so it really doesn't even register on my radar.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

http://www.olgasflavorfactory.com/category/russianrecipes/

We're going to make chocolate salami.  I need to find other dishes as well.  We're spending opening ceremonies day at our annual ski trip, but I'll do food throughout.  :)

Quoting hipmomto3:

Last Olympics (London), we made a dinner of English and Olympic-themed foods to eat while we watched the opening ceremonies. We are planning to do that again. For London, we had fish & chips, a dessert made of lemon curd, and then I made a blue jello "pool" (13x9 clear pyrex) and we used red twizzlers to mark the swimming lanes and put little lego people in there swimming. It was a lot of fun.

For Russia, I have been googling various Russian dishes (we are  less familiar with Russian cuisine!). Black bread sounds promising, as do pierogies, but I'm not 100% set on a menu yet. My son wants to build a snowboarding dessert involving vanilla ice cream and lego minifigs. 

We will probably talk about Russia a bit on next Friday in preparation for this, but  nothing major. The opening ceremonies give you a lot of background on the country's history and culture.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I don't mean the games are being fudged! I mean that our government & President will take this time of distraction of the American people & use it to their advantage to do things that we would normally fight tooth & nail to stop! I am talking about them pushing laws & legislation right under our noses! I am talking about them using the Olympics as a "smoke & mirrors" distraction from what they are doing right here at home!

What I meant by the games not being about what they used to be was back in the day wars stopped for the Olympics! It was a time of Peace in the world! A time when we all came together for this event with no grudges or animosity toward one another! It has not been that way for a long time, wars still rage on during them now, Country's refuse to attend if other specific ones are going to! It has become in my eyes the opposite of what it was meant to be, now governments use it as a time to posture & make themselves look better, a bragging right if you will!

Quoting KickButtMama:

I love a good conspiracy theory. But I have Olympians in the family who would strongly disagree that the Olympics are swayed by politics or that it has been corrupted. 

Quoting 

I know that the Olympics are a tradition that goes back all the way to Ancient Greece but it has not been about what it originally was about for a long time!

Quoting paganbaby:

Lol, why not?

Quoting usmom3:

Nope!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 31, 2014 at 3:37 PM

We make huge batched of pierogi every Christmas. It's super easy. You use a basic dough recipe (any pie crust would work too) and we love making potato & cheese....hmmmm...sooo good! 

Quoting hipmomto3:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Is it okay to admit that I dislike the Olympics? LOL

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 3:40 PM

That sounds fun!

Quoting hipmomto3:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I <3 Pinterest, too!

Quoting KickButtMama:

I love Pinterest, thanks for sharing!

Quoting hwblyf:

So there are a ton of unit studies out there.  I've not found ONE that I like, so we're doing a hodgepodge of stuff.  I've pinned a bunch of sites:

http://www.pinterest.com/hwblyf/social-studies/

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 31, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Ahh, the modern Olympics have been different from Ancient Olympics, especially during wartime, America boycotted the Olympics when it was held in Germany during WWII for instance. But I believe it has always been about bragging rights..lol...like any competition. 

I'm a flaming liberal democrat so don't view the president/government quite the same. Do I believe the govt does things behind our backs? Yup, but I keep abreast of bills up for debate/vote, even when watching a Deadly Women marathon in ID, or the Olympics, or anything else. But the sneakiness usually comes in the wording of bills, where the major bill might be on one thing, but a tiny article might be something else entirely. That bugs me. 

Quoting usmom3:

I don't mean the games are being fudged! I mean that our government & President will take this time of distraction of the American people & use it to their advantage to do things that we would normally fight tooth & nail to stop! I am talking about them pushing laws & legislation right under our noses! I am talking about them using the Olympics as a "smoke & mirrors" distraction from what they are doing right here at home!

What I meant by the games not being about what they used to be was back in the day wars stopped for the Olympics! It was a time of Peace in the world! A time when we all came together for this event with no grudges or animosity toward one another! It has not been that way for a long time, wars still rage on during them now, Country's refuse to attend if other specific ones are going to! It has become in my eyes the opposite of what it was meant to be, now governments use it as a time to posture & make themselves look better, a bragging right if you will!

Quoting KickButtMama:

I love a good conspiracy theory. But I have Olympians in the family who would strongly disagree that the Olympics are swayed by politics or that it has been corrupted. 

Quoting 

I know that the Olympics are a tradition that goes back all the way to Ancient Greece but it has not been about what it originally was about for a long time!

Quoting paganbaby:

Lol, why not?

Quoting usmom3:

Nope!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)