Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you using the Olympics as a teaching theme?

Posted by   + Show Post

Just curious if you had any ideas to share.....

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:40 PM
Replies (21-26):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 4:42 PM

LOVE these ideas!! Thank you!!!

Quoting KickButtMama:

We LOVE the Olympics. We watch it nearly 24 hours a day. (I love that you can watch the full competitions on apps and such now instead of the edited tv shows). Some of the things we do:

1: We always make a big poster listing the sports. Like a spreadsheet, we make columns for gold, silver & bronze, then the kids draw the flag of the country that wins the medal.

2: Then we make another poster with a list of the countries so we can keep a tally to see who earns the most. 

3: This year the kids are making little fan signs, like we were in the stands at the actual competition for their favorite sports - all things ice skating (dance, speed, team, couple, individual, etc), skeleton, bobsled, ski jumping, and snowboarding. I think that's all...lol...the kids have their favorite athletes they will be cheering for. I love that the kids even chose athletes from different countries to root for in different sports ;)

4: we always research the countries competing...like we were sad the one entry from Northern Africa withdrew, I think from skiing, since he's practically the only one from the continent that was entered! (He apparently lived on one of the only mountains in Africa tall enough to get snow).

5: we also like researching, and making, foods from the countries that win.

So, basically, we love the Olympics!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:24 PM

This is crazy amazing!

Quoting KickButtMama:

We LOVE the Olympics. We watch it nearly 24 hours a day. (I love that you can watch the full competitions on apps and such now instead of the edited tv shows). Some of the things we do:

1: We always make a big poster listing the sports. Like a spreadsheet, we make columns for gold, silver & bronze, then the kids draw the flag of the country that wins the medal.

2: Then we make another poster with a list of the countries so we can keep a tally to see who earns the most. 

3: This year the kids are making little fan signs, like we were in the stands at the actual competition for their favorite sports - all things ice skating (dance, speed, team, couple, individual, etc), skeleton, bobsled, ski jumping, and snowboarding. I think that's all...lol...the kids have their favorite athletes they will be cheering for. I love that the kids even chose athletes from different countries to root for in different sports ;)

4: we always research the countries competing...like we were sad the one entry from Northern Africa withdrew, I think from skiing, since he's practically the only one from the continent that was entered! (He apparently lived on one of the only mountains in Africa tall enough to get snow).

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Aww, shucks, thanks! We just love the Olympics! 

Quoting mem82:

This is crazy amazing!

Quoting KickButtMama:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:30 PM

You're welcome! We started doing this kind of thing when the kids were really young, just started HSing, so I printed out little flags the kids taped into the poster of medal winners, and we would find the country on the globe. When we tallied up the countries with the most Gold, silver & bronze, the kids would plan a 'trip' to visit those countries and we made travel brochures of what we would do there, the language, how long it would take to travel there, etc. So for us the Olympics are a tradition of learning by now (since my eldest is going to be 13 this year ;D) 

Quoting ablackdolphin:

LOVE these ideas!! Thank you!!!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Howardx5
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 1:40 AM

No. other than "if you have a dream, and work really hard, it can come true", i wouldnt even know how to incorporate that into anything. 

MamaDearie
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 9:27 AM

bowing down

Wow!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Daisypath Valentines tickers
Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

I am a conservative Christian homeschooling mama of 3 who believes strongly in traditional families and traditional roles. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)