Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Teaching Art and Music...

Posted by   + Show Post

For those that teach Art and Music, how do you grade? Do you grade them based on effort or artistry/tone? I use K12 but I feel like making a child sing a song over and over again until they are pitch perfect is absurd considering not everyone can do that. Same goes for art. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:18 PM
Replies (11-17):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:32 PM
I certainly would not grade on ability. We don't do grades anyway, but if we did, it would just be on doing the expected work/participation, and understanding. Basically if they learn anything from music theory or art history, not how well they can draw or sing...but if they try.

I went to B&M as well and never understood how the art teacher could grade my work, I certainly am not an artist but I would honestly try...it was very disappointing when I got a poor grade in a subject that was impossible to study for or get better at since I really have no skill or artistic talent at all! I would rather my kids enjoy making art or listening to music/singing, etc. it's art...it's all relative IMO.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:05 AM
This!
I agree! Participation and enthusiasm is key to a grade.

Quoting usmom3:

We don't grade but if we did we would do it passed on participation & enthusiasm for what is being do. Because we all are not master singers/musiciansor  artist so to expect them to turn out great art or sing/play an instrument well is a very high expectation that will never get meet by most children!

Chillisarah
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I don't grade for music and art, really.  As long as she is doing the work, participating, and showing improvement then I know she's learning and is engaged in it.  For music, right now we do a mix of vocal and piano.  I'm also trying to teach her to read music on a basic level, though.  I'm using this website as a guide for us called Let's Play Music http://www.letsplaykidsmusic.com/ .  Also, we do vocal exercises on music days.  And for the Art portion she does a variety of art lessons and we use this art lessons website here: http://www.incredibleart.org/news/artnews.html .  I think that with art and music, it's best to grade on participation/effort and they will eventually improve over time.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 4:01 PM

I don't grade, but when I taught public school art and music were graded on participation and effort.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:24 PM

This!

Quoting usmom3:

We don't grade but if we did we would do it passed on participation & enthusiasm for what is being do. Because we all are not master singers/musiciansor  artist so to expect them to turn out great art or sing/play an instrument well is a very high expectation that will never get meet by most children!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:24 PM

I think that's how we were graded in school.

Quoting Bluecalm:

I don't grade, but when I taught public school art and music were graded on participation and effort.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:25 PM

If either were graded on ability I would definitely be a struggling c student. lol

Quoting TJandKarasMom: I certainly would not grade on ability. We don't do grades anyway, but if we did, it would just be on doing the expected work/participation, and understanding. Basically if they learn anything from music theory or art history, not how well they can draw or sing...but if they try.

I went to B&M as well and never understood how the art teacher could grade my work, I certainly am not an artist but I would honestly try...it was very disappointing when I got a poor grade in a subject that was impossible to study for or get better at since I really have no skill or artistic talent at all! I would rather my kids enjoy making art or listening to music/singing, etc. it's art...it's all relative IMO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)