Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

teaching about sperm and ovaries UPDATE

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:30 AM
  • 28 Replies
When will/did you? DD (6) wants to learn more about the human body. She knows about the heart, lungs, etc. She also has asked about how babies are made. We've had that talk
should I tie it together and just teach her about sperm, eggs and ovaries?

update: so DD actually came home and the perfect opportunity to talk about all this opened up. She was telling me earlier in the week J was transferring to a new school but her brother wasn't. She was upset. That was her BFF. Ok so today I tell her were going to the library to find books about her body and she can pick out what she wants to learn. She immediately said "BABIES" I said you mean ovaries, and how sperm and eggs create the baby? She said "yeah. I guess. J says she thinks she's pregnant (guess this was discussed before her transfer" she even felt it kicking her! I think maybe that's why she doesn't go to my school anymore. She has to go to a special pregnant mom school"

I couldn't stop laughing. But after correcting her and reassuring her it was HIGHLY unlikely that her 6 year old friend was expecting...i now know we HAVE to cover these things. Like...NOW! on one hand in laughing at her innocence but on the other I'm smh at whatever silliness brought that up. Lol
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this
Of course! It's all anatomy. We're. The ones who make it weird and off limits, it's actually so much easier the younger they are. Maybe if we all taught it in preschool rather than waiting, we could overcome this squeamishness we seem to have as a culture about sex and reproduction.
Howardx5
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Any suggestions for good materials we can get from the library?

Quoting Leissaintexas: Of course! It's all anatomy. We're. The ones who make it weird and off limits, it's actually so much easier the younger they are. Maybe if we all taught it in preschool rather than waiting, we could overcome this squeamishness we seem to have as a culture about sex and reproduction.
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Try looking for the DK books or The Body Book. I also used a college anatomy text. I was surprised how much my little one got out of that one.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:03 AM

We've taught about them from day 1. I wanted my kids to feel completely comfortable talking to me about their bodies, so I started by doing the same.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

The boys know all about reproduction.  Although we have it easier, since we have all kinds of animals.  They've seen animals mating, giving birth, and dying.  It's all been such a part of life from the very beginning that there has never been any shame or uncomfort about the topic.

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:04 PM

My 6 yr old dd asked me the other day. I changed the subject simply because I didn't know how to get into all that with a child. She probably would not have asked if I were not about to have a baby. She knows how babies are born just not how they get in there so now she is curious as to how they get there in the 1st place.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:08 PM
The Americqn Girl book,"Care and Keeping of you" is great for the young girl/preteen age. They have a boy version as well.
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

When ever my children showed interest in learning it we would always take the opportunity to teach it! My youngest 2 learned all about where baby's came from & the sex organs when they where 6 & 8. They where interested because their Cousin was expecting her first child. We watched videos that showed baby's in the womb (human, dog, dolphin & elephant baby's to be exact). We also watched a cool video on YouTube that explained why males have nipples & that taught us about genetic material & how it changes for male or female!

The video from YouTube is here

There are lots of videos of baby's in the womb on YouTube as well!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:54 PM

It's So Amazing (http://www.amazon.com/Its-So-Amazing-Families-Library/dp/0763613215/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391194375&sr=8-1&keywords=it%27s+so+amazing) is a good book about all of that.  We also have a bunch of books like What's Going on Down There and some others.  Lots of choices at the library, but my kids have enjoyed It's So Amazing the most.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 3:37 PM

We've always just eased into it. Around 9, I did get my daughter a book on bodies and how they work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)