Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

teaching about sperm and ovaries UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post
When will/did you? DD (6) wants to learn more about the human body. She knows about the heart, lungs, etc. She also has asked about how babies are made. We've had that talk
should I tie it together and just teach her about sperm, eggs and ovaries?

update: so DD actually came home and the perfect opportunity to talk about all this opened up. She was telling me earlier in the week J was transferring to a new school but her brother wasn't. She was upset. That was her BFF. Ok so today I tell her were going to the library to find books about her body and she can pick out what she wants to learn. She immediately said "BABIES" I said you mean ovaries, and how sperm and eggs create the baby? She said "yeah. I guess. J says she thinks she's pregnant (guess this was discussed before her transfer" she even felt it kicking her! I think maybe that's why she doesn't go to my school anymore. She has to go to a special pregnant mom school"

I couldn't stop laughing. But after correcting her and reassuring her it was HIGHLY unlikely that her 6 year old friend was expecting...i now know we HAVE to cover these things. Like...NOW! on one hand in laughing at her innocence but on the other I'm smh at whatever silliness brought that up. Lol
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Replies (11-20):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 3:38 PM

The Body Book is a good one.

Quoting Leissaintexas: Try looking for the DK books or The Body Book. I also used a college anatomy text. I was surprised how much my little one got out of that one.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 31, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I LOVE this vid, how fun!!

Quoting usmom3:

When ever my children showed interest in learning it we would always take the opportunity to teach it! My youngest 2 learned all about where baby's came from & the sex organs when they where 6 & 8. They where interested because their Cousin was expecting her first child. We watched videos that showed baby's in the womb (human, dog, dolphin & elephant baby's to be exact). We also watched a cool video on YouTube that explained why males have nipples & that taught us about genetic material & how it changes for male or female!

The video from YouTube is here

There are lots of videos of baby's in the womb on YouTube as well!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 31, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I agree, we've got that one too!

Quoting mem82:

The Body Book is a good one.

Quoting Leissaintexas: Try looking for the DK books or The Body Book. I also used a college anatomy text. I was surprised how much my little one got out of that one.

ambcortez
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 3:53 PM

DS is 7 and asked about babies, so I showed him a fertilization program off YouTube. It wasn't graphic as far as intercourse, but just showed the sperm meeting the egg and baby development.

Chillisarah
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I think it's a good age.  I was about that age when (after asking a million questions) my then Med student  aunt took out one of her college text books and explained it to me..  I'm going to show my dd (5yrs old) a National Geographic Video called The Incredible Human Body and it talks about all that also.  She asks a lot of questions also and we are learning about The Human Body now so I think it will be a good way to tie it all in.

Howardx5
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 4:17 PM
Thanks everyone!
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 4:39 PM

It's Not The Stork is pretty good

zzsmmy2010
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Yes! As soon as my son asks, he will be taught the right thing with correct terms, no matter his age. We need to be honest with our children about how things like this work, not shield them because we fear they are too young. If they start young knowing these things it's going to help them make better decisions in the future.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 4:43 PM
2 moms liked this
That is the best way to teach them!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

The boys know all about reproduction.  Although we have it easier, since we have all kinds of animals.  They've seen animals mating, giving birth, and dying.  It's all been such a part of life from the very beginning that there has never been any shame or uncomfort about the topic.

coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 5:43 PM

This is the book that we are going to use.  It is full of super helpful information with out going overboard.  We are waiting until 8 to give the book and we will read sections of it together to help keep her informed and answer questions along the way.

My mom was REALLY open with me and I honestly wish that she hadn't been that open...I knew about ALL forms fo BC by the time I was finished with 3rd grade.  I think some of that stuff can wait a bit.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: The Americqn Girl book,"Care and Keeping of you" is great for the young girl/preteen age. They have a boy version as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)