Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

teaching about sperm and ovaries UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post
When will/did you? DD (6) wants to learn more about the human body. She knows about the heart, lungs, etc. She also has asked about how babies are made. We've had that talk
should I tie it together and just teach her about sperm, eggs and ovaries?

update: so DD actually came home and the perfect opportunity to talk about all this opened up. She was telling me earlier in the week J was transferring to a new school but her brother wasn't. She was upset. That was her BFF. Ok so today I tell her were going to the library to find books about her body and she can pick out what she wants to learn. She immediately said "BABIES" I said you mean ovaries, and how sperm and eggs create the baby? She said "yeah. I guess. J says she thinks she's pregnant (guess this was discussed before her transfer" she even felt it kicking her! I think maybe that's why she doesn't go to my school anymore. She has to go to a special pregnant mom school"

I couldn't stop laughing. But after correcting her and reassuring her it was HIGHLY unlikely that her 6 year old friend was expecting...i now know we HAVE to cover these things. Like...NOW! on one hand in laughing at her innocence but on the other I'm smh at whatever silliness brought that up. Lol
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Replies (21-28):
LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: The Americqn Girl book,"Care and Keeping of you" is great for the young girl/preteen age. They have a boy version as well.

I didn't know this. Everyone only talks about the girl version.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

This has happened to me before. Sometimes, it's just not the right time. lol

Quoting twyliatepeka:

My 6 yr old dd asked me the other day. I changed the subject simply because I didn't know how to get into all that with a child. She probably would not have asked if I were not about to have a baby. She knows how babies are born just not how they get in there so now she is curious as to how they get there in the 1st place.

Oddy_Knocky
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:27 PM
I start at 9 with the big stuff. I have books and am ready for any question thrown my way.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:56 PM
when???
Well, when they ask and then we give an open honest answer that is age and word appropriate.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:52 AM
My eldest is 12. An ultra conservative mom in our group tried to give me a 1980's pamphlet about periods to share with my kid. I'm like.. uh..she has been on her period for 9 months now..
Howardx5
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 1:18 AM
Bump for update that I'm probably laughing entirely too hard at.
MamaDearie
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I started with each child at 4. They know the appropriate names for all of the anatomy and how babies are actually made. And they know that there are many myths and stories other parents might tell their children because they are uncomfortable with the subject so they all know that they are not to discuss this with other children. They also know that they can come to me with any question about anything and they will get an honest answer. :-) I feel like in order for them to comfortable with their own bodies and their own sense of self, we, as parents, have to get comfortable talking to them about it. I don't want them guessing, making assumptions, listening to other kids ideas, etc. I want to know that they have been given accurate info from day 1. :-)

We use the series of books from Robie Harris. It starts with "It's Not the Stork" for the 4 to 7 year old set and has 2 more that work with the age groups as they get older. There can be controversial info in them so be prepared to discuss your views on that - in particular the one for the oldest group, 10 and up, called "It's Perfectly Normal". They have a liberal slant that does not jive with our conservative Christian beliefs (we are pro-life, pro-traditional marriage, pro-abstinence, etc.) but I used it as a great jumping off point to discuss these difficult subjects with my son (he is the only kiddo I have old enough to have used it). 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Daisypath Valentines tickers
Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

I am a conservative Christian homeschooling mama of 3 who believes strongly in traditional families and traditional roles. 

mrs.hartman12
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 11:04 AM

My 5yo saw her sister be born and we have touched on the subject but she still doesnt know how the baby got there. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)