Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I totally get the difference between eschooling and homeschooling now

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 4:48 PM
  • 11 Replies
4 moms liked this

I am an eschooler.  I have been eschooling at least 1 child each year for the past 3 years.  Last year I had 3, this year I started with 2 but found the eschooling too much for my PK kid.  Deciding he was just too little still, we dropped him from eschool but continue to play school at home.  I know this sounds crazy, but I let my children decide where they want to go (all 4 that are school age are still in elementary grades PK-3).  Anyway, I have a friend who was also eschooling, but for her, it turned out to be a total mess!  So, I encouraged her to drop her kids from the eschool, and now I am homeschooling her 2 as well as eschooling my one.  I can completely see the difference now.  I am really thinking that if any of mine choose to stay home next year, we will go the homeschool route instead of the eschool route.  The freedom is AMAZING!  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersPhotobucket

by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Good luck!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 5:10 PM
It really and truly is.
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 31, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Yes it is!

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:01 PM

It's definitely a more flexible type of educational experience.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:18 PM

It sounds like you have a lot of schooling hats to wear!

arctophile
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 3:17 PM
Yes but without complete chaos I feel totally lost, lol.

Quoting mem82:

It sounds like you have a lot of schooling hats to wear!

Beniegenie
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 12:48 PM
What is eschooling?
lovelylady83
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Quoting Beniegenie: What is eschooling?

The virtual public schools or virtual private schools where you don't have total control of your child's education due to requirements to complete x y or z or have to "attend" classes  

Beniegenie
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 1:14 PM
Ah...so that would be like K-12. We don't have that here. CA had it but we moved before my son was old enough. I thought eschooling would be easiest, but we homeschool. Can you tell me a little about how eschooling works? Do they have to start and finish at a certain time everyday? How many hours do they work? Do you get to interact and be involved in their learning? Just curious. Some days I wonder if I can do homeschool for the next 14 years...
lovelylady83
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Each state is different.  We homeschool.  But every time we move I think about it and contact K12 and decide what I wanna do.  So far homeschooling is the best for us.  

We started in MD -No K12

Went to NC- No K12

Now FL- They are requried to be online entirely too much here.  They instituted longer hours because the test scores last year weren't high enough.  Then the kids still have the lessons to do after the online. It would be longer than PS.  

Going to FL-  I have already talked to someone I know in GA.  Despite what some people believe there is no requirement for the kids to attend the class.  Only just to get their work done and submitted.  They can attend the classes if they want to.  She has had her kids in the k12 there for years and one of them (her 5th grader is advanced).  We aren't going to K12 there either.  I may purchase their independent study options for JR. High Science but not put her in the school.  

Quoting Beniegenie: Ah...so that would be like K-12. We don't have that here. CA had it but we moved before my son was old enough. I thought eschooling would be easiest, but we homeschool. Can you tell me a little about how eschooling works? Do they have to start and finish at a certain time everyday? How many hours do they work? Do you get to interact and be involved in their learning? Just curious. Some days I wonder if I can do homeschool for the next 14 years...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)