Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How to make the boring work more fun?

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 1:06 AM
  • 18 Replies

How do you make the boring work, like learning about pronouns and subjects, more fun?

by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 1:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Play games. Brief practices. Oral review... they don't have to write out 15-20 sentences to learn what a noun is. Keep the lessons brief.

Madlibs are awesome. Magnetic sentences. Adj /noun bucket. The silly stuff helps these things stick....as well as active games.

Make flashcards and they "pop" up and yell the matching word or definition or use the noun in a sentence.

Make up silly stories and add in adjectives.

celtic77dragon
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 3:03 AM

MCT!! Beautifully written. My kids LOVE it and ASK for it. I can not rave about this curriculum enough. I have created some hands on and visual stuff to go with it - I just feel like it helps. 

There are some good Scholastic workbooks that have adorable ideas as well for teaching grammar (I have 2 of them). Pinterest has ideas too. My kids have a magnetic board and each bag of words represent the 8 parts of speech - easy to make something like that.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 8:15 AM
We do hands on projects, games and any ideas my sons come up with.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 1, 2014 at 8:38 AM
Yep. We do the silly sentences and the flashcards to learn about LA.

Quoting KrissyKC: Play games. Brief practices. Oral review... they don't have to write out 15-20 sentences to learn what a noun is. Keep the lessons brief.

Madlibs are awesome. Magnetic sentences. Adj /noun bucket. The silly stuff helps these things stick....as well as active games.

Make flashcards and they "pop" up and yell the matching word or definition or use the noun in a sentence.

Make up silly stories and add in adjectives.

MamaDearie
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Check out Michael Clay Thompson's series. My son loved them and found them quite funny. And he has retained a great deal of the information he learned. I wouldn't say that it can stand alone though and you should have another back-up to make sure that your kiddo is generalizing it but for the initial getting-through-the-drudgery of grammar, it is fun. :-)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Daisypath Valentines tickers
Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

I am a conservative Christian homeschooling mama of 3 who believes strongly in traditional families and traditional roles. 

coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 9:18 AM

My oldest still has a hard time making silly sentences.  She will create one sentence and re-use it for EVERY word.  I'm thinking about getting a madlibs book so that we can sit down as a family and make silly stories by filling in stuff.  I was trying to explain what madlibs was to my MIL the other day and shes never heard of or seen them. 

My oldest is having to use "describing words", but they aren't calling them adjectives yet.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 1, 2014 at 9:53 AM

I agree with the silly sentences. We made cards with different word on each card and shuffled them then built a sentence with the cards - which never made sense..lol..also I have up AdLibs the kids LOVE making funny sentences there and it's great for teaching parts of sentences.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 10:34 AM

I'd be lying if I said I did, lol. I haven't a creative bone in my body.

I did notice, with my tutoring student, that tone set the stage - she found things more enjoyable the more goofy I was (and regardless of my lack of creativity, I am a total goofball). Her favorite exercise was when I told her to tell her father about her day using all common nouns, for example; it was a riot (he called her sometimes at my house - parents divorced - to ask about her day).

There are some subjects that I frankly don't care to make fun. I try to keep them all light and enjoyable, but I'm a "suck it up, princess" type most of the time.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Yes... I also just do the suck it up buttercup mentality. Sometimes in life we just have to set aside games and guffaws and do what is necessary. I do try to make it fun and help it stick by generating excitement also by limiting the amount of practice...but there is that time every day its just..."do it"

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'd be lying if I said I did, lol. I haven't a creative bone in my body.

I did notice, with my tutoring student, that tone set the stage - she found things more enjoyable the more goofy I was (and regardless of my lack of creativity, I am a total goofball). Her favorite exercise was when I told her to tell her father about her day using all common nouns, for example; it was a riot (he called her sometimes at my house - parents divorced - to ask about her day).

There are some subjects that I frankly don't care to make fun. I try to keep them all light and enjoyable, but I'm a "suck it up, princess" type most of the time.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 1:27 PM
We never really did "lessons" with stuff like that, we just learned through usage.my kids never quite got the concept when I was trying to use actual curriculum.I tried Grammar Tales and that helped some,but mostly I just took every opportunity to point out nouns,verbs,pronouns,etc when they showed up in our reading.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)