Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How to make the boring work more fun?

Posted by   + Show Post

How do you make the boring work, like learning about pronouns and subjects, more fun?

by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 1:06 AM
Replies (11-18):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Madlibs!

SarahNElijah
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 4:04 PM
Currently with my 7 year old, we are making our own board game, similar to the 'Cooking Up Sentences' game.. Each week we make cards for a different part of speech, and since he can pick the words, he really enjoys this! :-) Once the game is done, there are 'recipe' cards that tell you how many of each type of word you need to use to make your sentence, and then for beginners, you can have them choose the card by part of speech. For more advanced play, they have to pick a word they think is that part of speech. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Caston04
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 11:22 PM
My children made a video explain what they learn.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:16 AM
apps and games
chlippr77
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:30 PM

There is a book called Grammar Land or Grammar in Fun for the Children of Schoolroom-shire by M.L. Nesbitt.   It's a public domain book (novel) that uses the parts of speech as characters in the story.  When I googled it, I found some links for other resources to help turn it into a unit study.  While I haven't actually tried, I am contemplating scraping our grammar we are using this year for three of my children and replacing it would this.  Just thought I would share what I'm thinking of doing because I'm having some similar issues with some of my kiddos :)  Best of luck finding something that works for ya.

Bleacher-mom
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Thank you. I'll look into that. DS was just getting real bored learning about many different pronouns, like gender pronouns, indefinate pronouns, and I was really hoping there was something more fun that we can do so he will actually remember them.

Quoting chlippr77:

There is a book called Grammar Land or Grammar in Fun for the Children of Schoolroom-shire by M.L. Nesbitt.   It's a public domain book (novel) that uses the parts of speech as characters in the story.  When I googled it, I found some links for other resources to help turn it into a unit study.  While I haven't actually tried, I am contemplating scraping our grammar we are using this year for three of my children and replacing it would this.  Just thought I would share what I'm thinking of doing because I'm having some similar issues with some of my kiddos :)  Best of luck finding something that works for ya.

Bleacher-mom
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Yeah, we love madlibs and do them often. But it doesn't get into the many different types of pronouns and that so I need more.

Quoting paganbaby:

Madlibs!

Bleacher-mom
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow. I really like that idea! So far, I have been having them put what they learn into a lapbook and they do love doing that, but it just seem like enough to have them remember.

Quoting SarahNElijah: Currently with my 7 year old, we are making our own board game, similar to the 'Cooking Up Sentences' game.. Each week we make cards for a different part of speech, and since he can pick the words, he really enjoys this! :-) Once the game is done, there are 'recipe' cards that tell you how many of each type of word you need to use to make your sentence, and then for beginners, you can have them choose the card by part of speech. For more advanced play, they have to pick a word they think is that part of speech. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN