Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschool Help!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 11:53 AM
  • 1 Replies

Hi everyone. I am new to this group and would love some help. My boys are still young 3 and 1(2 in March). Public schools in our area are a joke and the magnet programs are mostly in bad neighborhoods. Private schools that are non religous are way to expensive. The ones that we can afford and the one I would LOVE the boys to go to(we belong to the church) have small classes and a long waiting list. Ive been on the waiting list for day care for 8 months now. So homeschooling was put on the table but I have no idea what it intals, what I would do, the pros or cons. So im just looking for advice on where to start, or any other help tips.

Also if we send the boys to private school or end up being able to send them to better public schools my oldest will be starting 17 days shy of his 6th bday. If we home school we might start him before his 5th birthday.

by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
katyq
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm planning to start my son in k when he's 4 1/2 or so. There is just a ton that he already knows because I have been teaching him for a few months so he will be more than ready by that age. You will find that a common theme among homeschoolings. Even as some complain that they feel so behind in what they have planned, their kids are often still ahead or way ahead of their schooled peers. There are a million pros to hs and few cons. The cons are that in some states it is a pain in the butt to follow hs regulations, though in others, like Georgia, you simply track attendance and submit it annually, notify the district of your intent to hs annually, and have your child take a standardized test every three years starting in grade 3. Also, you don't get the break or alone time that sending your child off to school gives you...which I am A-ok with. As for the pros, there are too many to list but I will say that hs kids score an average of 30 percent higher on standardized tests that their public and private schooled peers, they tend to work above grade level, they graduate high school and college at a higher rate and with higher gpa's , their socio-emotional health is greater than their peers, there is a scale that is used to quantify this but I can't recall the name. They tend to be more heavily involved in their community and so on and so forth. Ok I'll stop there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)