Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How did you choose between homeschooling and sending to a public school? Cyberschool or not? 

*
yes. there are two paths you can go by. but in the long run. there's still time to change the road you're on.
                          -led.zeppelin

by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 6:57 PM
Replies (11-19):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 2:56 PM
Were homeschool for religious reasons,and because I have problems with federal government dictating my child's learning,so obviously cyber schooling is not a great option for us.
JadeTigr7
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 6:09 PM

We made our decision to homeschool when my husband joined the army.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 6:30 PM
My oldest went to k. She knew how to read, write, add and subtract 2 digit numbers without pictures and count to 100 before starting.

She was extremely bored and they would not help her, move her up or test her. One day when I picked her up she was outside early with a teacher I had not seen before and her class was no where in sight.

When I talked to her she explained that she was a special ed teacher who was helping in another class because of different k student and because my dd had been running around the classroom and would not sit down she had been asked to make her sit so she had restrained her on her lap.

I had not received a call and the regular teacher did not have time to talk to me about it.

So when we moved we put her in k12 to finish out the year. I was nervous about going it alone.

At the end of last year she asked to be homeschooled so we moved that way. I would not go back.
Codysmom2106
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:43 PM
I chose to homeschool after listening to my ds tell me time and time again about him getting punched, kicked, choked, spit on and threatened while the school did nothing. At one point or another the teacher, secretary, counselor and principle all knew and still did nothing. He's learned more in the past 9 days than he has all this ps year. It was an easy decision to make.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:18 PM
I feel like cyber schools are a good way to get your feet wet or to scare you half to death.

Keep in mind if you change over to regular homeschool later you do not have to work at the same pace as the cyber school and that you can change things if you want.

I was nervous switching from cyber school (k12) to doing it on my own but we are still learning so much and not having as many fights from my 8 year old. She loves that there is more time to work on her own learning ideas and not just what I assign for the day.

Quoting sstepph:

Thanks everyone. 

We started thinking about homeschooling last May when we were looking to buy a house and  the school district the house was in, was not the best. We ended up not buying the house but were still interested in homeschooling. I felt I didn't have enough knowledge to do it on my own, so I started looking into cyber schools and have a few friends that do it and have had awesome success. 

So, now, we're just trying to decide between the 2 cyber schools. And I will continue to learn and read up on homeschooling on my own. We will be starting Kindergarden in September for my 5 year old through the cyber school. 

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:30 PM

I think when my oldest (almost 11) was a baby and I realized she'd be "off to school" in just five years... that seemed way too soon! So it was always kind of a vague idea in my mind. I have a degree in early ed and had taught at a private K/PreK school already so I knew what to do. When she turned 5, I did look into our local school and heard some nasty things. We then found out that in Dec that year (halfway through her K year), we'd be moving to a different city, so we thought why not just homeschool and make the transition easier. After that, we just kept on. It was never really like we "started" because as a former teacher, I already structured our days to include learning - we read a lot, went to parks and libraries a lot, did art activities at home, etc. So there was never a big official 'start' to our homeschooling.

Chillisarah
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:41 PM

We chose an online school for a few reasons.  My daughter went to public school for Kindergarten for half of the year and we realized that she was very advanced because I homeschooled her for pre-k (teaching her a mix of pre-K, Kindergarten and some 1st grade lessons) so she wasn't learning anything new in public school.  She started online school less than a month ago and we tested her and she's at a 1st grade reading level and 3rd grade math level.  The school is able to customize their lesson plans to fit her individual learning needs.  I'm really impressed with their curriculum.  Also, I'm in college so my daughter and I did not like the idea of her being away at school all day and then I went to class at night and on weekends.  I wanted to have the time be involved in and supplement her education while also spending quality time with her.  This just works out best for our family life and her educational needs.

Mandallyn
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM

I chose homeschooling when my oldest son was 5 because I knew he'd be a trouble maker.  Once I buckled down, he did great.  He still hates the writing portions of homeschooling, but we work through it.  He briefly went to public school this year (BIG MISTAKE) and my choice was confirmed as correct for me.

I chose not to use cyberschool because he would be on someone else's agenda.  He wouldn't necessarily be learning, just like in public school.  He would be doing busy work and taking tests to prepare him for taking standardized testing.  

My middle child I think would do well in public school, but he's gender-fluid and to avoid the drama we would face with the public school system I will homeschool him... Possibly through middle school until schools are more able to address his needs without bias.  For the same reasons I will choose not to use cyberschool.  I don't want him preparing for tests, I want him learning the way I did, before standardized testing became the norm.

-Teeter-Totter-
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:37 PM

We're going to homeschool. I'm just really looking forward to being with them on the journey.

I don't want to hear about awesome field trips had by my kiddos, I want to experience them together.  I don't want to be told about "aha" moments and mind-blowing lessons, I want to give them. I don't want to worry about my kids not getting to play in Kindergarden like we did thirty years ago, where homework was coloring pages and optional (not mandatory and worksheets). I want to have the option to go at our pace, and vacation as we like without worrying about truancies, make-up work and falling behind.

We've also opted against cyber-schooling (in the k-12 sense), because I want to pick and choose from multiple methods and put together my own curriculum. We're definitely going to take advantage of online resources though, and plan on integrating computer and traditional materials.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)