Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Help me spend $100

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:43 AM
  • 19 Replies

I have $500 allotted for my son's upcoming kindergarten year. I already have $400 spent on the following:

LOE Foundations A (phonics and handwriting)

Little Pim Italian

FIAR volume 2 and associated literature

Seton's Pre-K religion

Faith and Freedom Readers grade 1

... I already have on hand math (Miquon and CLE), Rod and Staff's GHI series, Making Music Praying Twice, and misc religion resources. I want something FUN. We do not do formal history or science at this age (FIAR will tie in plenty of that).

So... what are some fun educational things that I can buy? Either for Kinder Boy or for his Toddler Monster brother (to keep Toddler Monster occupied). They already have the mother load of archiquest blocks, jenga blocks, legos, etc.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 11:07 AM
I would go fill up on educational games. Spelling and phonics games, story starting cubes, manipulatives, etc. Or, I would spend it on a membership to something like the zoo or a children's museum or even a jumpzone place because some of them sell annual passes.
lovelylady83
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 11:09 AM

What about just some Kumon workbooks you know the mazes, cut and past type ones.  You could get a binder and some sheet protectors and dry erase markers and print off the tot in the event that your little one actually does good with that stuff.  workbook http://lapbooksbycarisa.homestead.com/TotSchool.html

I am going to have a  box of toys that my little plays with only during school next year so that hopefully she will be more peacable.  LOL

Have you thought about Signing Time?  We have all those and my little ones love that. 

or maybe some trains (if you don't already have I know you have more kiddos than me lol)

Just some ideas....

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Precious333
by Julia on Feb. 2, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Yep!

Quoting KrissyKC: I would go fill up on educational games. Spelling and phonics games, story starting cubes, manipulatives, etc. Or, I would spend it on a membership to something like the zoo or a children's museum or even a jumpzone place because some of them sell annual passes.
katyq
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 11:35 AM

It would exceed your budget, I am sure but if you could add another hundred or so, you could create a touch pool -_- 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I don't mind exceeding it at all if I get things that can be used for more than one kiddo :) I only hesitate to exceed it when we're talking about things that can only be used for one, or that would be a pain in the butt to extend use from, lol.

So, what is a touch pool?

Quoting katyq:

It would exceed your budget, I am sure but if you could add another hundred or so, you could create a touch pool -_- 

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Quoting KrissyKC: I would go fill up on educational games. Spelling and phonics games, story starting cubes, manipulatives, etc. Or, I would spend it on a membership to something like the zoo or a children's museum or even a jumpzone place because some of them sell annual passes.

We have a crap ton of games. Which spelling games would you suggest? LOE (the phonics/spelling/handwriting program we'll be using) is pretty game intensive as is.

He loves his c-rods. Are there other manipulatives you're fond of?

We don't really count memberships into the homeschool budget, as we buy those regardless. We have a great children's museum that we'll probably get a pass to, and a zoo that we'll renew membership to.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 12:19 PM

K'nex! Why didn't I think of that?!

Which ones are best for young 5 year olds? He IS a builder - he spends hours upon hours with his archiquest blocks, jenga blocks, Angry Bird building sets, etc. He is also, however, very small for his age and we're still working on the fine motor skills.

Quoting jen2150:

Any k'nex?  They have an awesome education series.  Simple machines, geometry, DNA models, physics of bridges and a bunch of others.  We have these two and love them.

http://www.amazon.com/KNEX-Education-Intro-Structures-Bridges/dp/B000PQJJ42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391357914&sr=8-1&keywords=k%27nex+bridges

http://www.amazon.com/KNEX-Education-Elementary-Math-Geometry/dp/B000O94QUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391358004&sr=8-1&keywords=k%27nex+math

katyq
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 12:23 PM

It is just like at an aquarium but at home :p you create a touch pool out of a used fish tank or swimming pool depending on what you want in it. I am trying to decide between chocolate chip starfish/crabs/anemones and pufferfish (which like to play and will eat out of your hand and let you touch them, Oscars (which will rearrange plants and rocks to suit their taste, and will spit things out of their tank if they don't like how the things look) and other compatible aquatic life. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I don't mind exceeding it at all if I get things that can be used for more than one kiddo :) I only hesitate to exceed it when we're talking about things that can only be used for one, or that would be a pain in the butt to extend use from, lol.

So, what is a touch pool?

Quoting katyq:

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 1:10 PM

My kids started using them around that age.  They were a little hard for them at first.  Some of pieces take a little work for young hands.    I had to help them a little but soon they were able to do it on their own.  The math set is on sale and very handy for hands on learners.  It builds their fine motor very well.  My boys are builders as well.  They are very visual.  They have sets that are easier for younger kids but I prefered the older sets since those are the ones that their education series uses.  If it is for independent play I would use the sets for younger kids. If it is for hands on learning you are doing together I would use the education series.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

K'nex! Why didn't I think of that?!

Which ones are best for young 5 year olds? He IS a builder - he spends hours upon hours with his archiquest blocks, jenga blocks, Angry Bird building sets, etc. He is also, however, very small for his age and we're still working on the fine motor skills.

Quoting jen2150:

Any k'nex?  They have an awesome education series.  Simple machines, geometry, DNA models, physics of bridges and a bunch of others.  We have these two and love them.

http://www.amazon.com/KNEX-Education-Intro-Structures-Bridges/dp/B000PQJJ42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391357914&sr=8-1&keywords=k%27nex+bridges

http://www.amazon.com/KNEX-Education-Elementary-Math-Geometry/dp/B000O94QUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391358004&sr=8-1&keywords=k%27nex+math

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)