Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Panicking for next year....

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 2:33 PM
  • 9 Replies

Everyone keeps talking about having their plans all set for next year...I think I just started figuring out this year!

So next year, my oldest will be 12, chronologically a 7th grader...and my youngest will be 11, chronologically a 6th grader.  However, they should be more like 8th and 5th graders at that point.

The only thing I know is that we will be moving on to Middle Ages for history.  I have no idea where to go with science (they just finished Ellen McHenry's The Elements and will do Carbon now and will finish that by the summer)...math...I may see if I can get the older one into an online algebra class, and the younger one into an online math as well.  We have a free online charter school in our state, we haven't tried it yet, but I think it could be worth a try for them.

Does anyone have any advice?  Anything you think they really should learn next year?  Any amazing curriculum?  I still work outside of the home, I'm usually gone about 30 hours a week, so I like to have some independent stuff for them to do. 

by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, for science you could fnish up McHenry (The Brain and her Botany program).

For math for the younger kiddo... if she needs spiral, check our CLE (independent).

I think your plan sounds fine. You could use Memoria Press' literature guides to add some literature study more indepth.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Not that I'm any expert or anything, but my ds (8th grade next year) will be using:  

• K12 Human Odyssey 2 (Middle Ages) for history.  I read it out loud and he reads it himself.  Then he narrates what he remembers.  That's it.  We're using book 1 this year (ancients)
  • Lessons based around the experiments in Apologia Physical Science - I'm only buying the text (for me to read and loosely use as a teaching tool) and the lab kit from christianbooks.com.  We're using Apologia General Science this year the same way.
  • Saxon Algebra 1 - ds and I go over the lessons together and he does the problems using a whiteboard and markers.  We're using Saxon Algebra 1/2 this year.  Life of Fred is a great math program they can do on their own, as well as Teaching Textbooks.  We've tried those, but ds likes Saxon the best.
  • Channel One News - a 10-minute online news program for teens.  Then we discuss some news stories.  We're using it this year as well.
  • This year we're using Lightning Literature, but for 8th grade we'll just do various novels - maybe using study guide and online activities
  • We will continue using Jump In for writing.  Ds really likes that and it's the only program that we've tried that hold his interest.  We're using it this year and will continue with it next year.
  • Runkle's Geography is also a big hit.  I try and make it hands-on.  We'll also continue with this next year.
  • He does Getting Started with Spanish all by himself.  It's a 5-minutes quick lesson.

I keep things simple and enjoyable and we cover a lot.  I don't like all-in-one curriculums, I'd rather piece together what works.  I worked 20 hrs a week for 7 years (until July 2013) - I plan on returning to work hopefully within the next few months.  It works out well, but I make sure I have only morning hours (8am-12pm) so it doesn't interfere with afternoon homeschooling or evening extra-curriculars. 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:36 PM

I was considering McHenry's stuff for next year too, it has worked well this year, they can do a lot independently. 

I think she actually needs mastery, she did spiral in PS and I feel like she didn't learn a thing.  This year has been really tough mathwise for her.  Even with what I'm doing now, which I consider 'working' we still have some pretty miserable days.

I like the lit guides idea..I'm going to look at those, at least for DS next year, DD could do some the next year if she's not ready when he is.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Well, for science you could fnish up McHenry (The Brain and her Botany program).

For math for the younger kiddo... if she needs spiral, check our CLE (independent).

I think your plan sounds fine. You could use Memoria Press' literature guides to add some literature study more indepth.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Keep in mind that MP's literature is AT LEAST a year advanced. Even if your son is working a grade level above, I would probably keep him at grade level for MP's literature (and your dd at least a year behind if she isn't working at grade level).

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I was considering McHenry's stuff for next year too, it has worked well this year, they can do a lot independently. 

I think she actually needs mastery, she did spiral in PS and I feel like she didn't learn a thing.  This year has been really tough mathwise for her.  Even with what I'm doing now, which I consider 'working' we still have some pretty miserable days.

I like the lit guides idea..I'm going to look at those, at least for DS next year, DD could do some the next year if she's not ready when he is.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Thank you so much!  Thanks for including what you're doing now and your plans for next year, some great ideas, I really appareciate you taking the time to write it all out for me.  It gives me a jumping off point.

I actually work in the afternoons mostly, so I teach in the mornings, then they have independent work while I'm gone.  I'm hoping next year will be a bit different with my work schedule, right now I leave 2x a week at 11am and don't get home until almost 7pm.  Those seem to be our worst days, the kids are stressed because I am stressed.  I can't really change that right now though, but I'm hoping once this school year is over my work won't ask me to go to school with the kid I work with next year, I really hate working in the school, lol, I quit my last job for a reason.  I really try to have those two days ready to go the night before so I can spend the morning actually teaching rather than just planning.

Thanks again!  Great ideas!!

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Not that I'm any expert or anything, but my ds (8th grade next year) will be using:  

• K12 Human Odyssey 2 (Middle Ages) for history.  I read it out loud and he reads it himself.  Then he narrates what he remembers.  That's it.  We're using book 1 this year (ancients)
  • Lessons based around the experiments in Apologia Physical Science - I'm only buying the text (for me to read and loosely use as a teaching tool) and the lab kit from christianbooks.com.  We're using Apologia General Science this year the same way.
  • Saxon Algebra 1 - ds and I go over the lessons together and he does the problems using a whiteboard and markers.  We're using Saxon Algebra 1/2 this year.  Life of Fred is a great math program they can do on their own, as well as Teaching Textbooks.  We've tried those, but ds likes Saxon the best.
  • Channel One News - a 10-minute online news program for teens.  Then we discuss some news stories.  We're using it this year as well.
  • This year we're using Lightning Literature, but for 8th grade we'll just do various novels - maybe using study guide and online activities
  • We will continue using Jump In for writing.  Ds really likes that and it's the only program that we've tried that hold his interest.  We're using it this year and will continue with it next year.
  • Runkle's Geography is also a big hit.  I try and make it hands-on.  We'll also continue with this next year.
  • He does Getting Started with Spanish all by himself.  It's a 5-minutes quick lesson.

I keep things simple and enjoyable and we cover a lot.  I don't like all-in-one curriculums, I'd rather piece together what works.  I worked 20 hrs a week for 7 years (until July 2013) - I plan on returning to work hopefully within the next few months.  It works out well, but I make sure I have only morning hours (8am-12pm) so it doesn't interfere with afternoon homeschooling or evening extra-curriculars. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I am using an online curriculum for science plus my own living books. It is very interactive. The computer reads through the lesson then has vocabulary and a quiz at the end. They have physics for middle school that we are doing. They also have nature topics, solar system, and they are adding on a new anatomy section. The physics is basically a physics high school course without the math.

We are doing middle ages as well. My son had one request we had to keep studying about murie curie. LOL

I picked our central book but I am stilling working on the extra books. I want to do a lot on robin hood, architecture and castles. There is a cathedral dvd by david Macaulay that is awesome. His book is great as well.

I wouldn't sweat it. It will come in place. You have plenty of time. I am sure my plans will change a million times over.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 1:39 AM
1 mom liked this
My older two...12 and almost 10...

We usually do rod and staff english, which actually has taught them well. However, we all just needed something new and I found pearson 7th grade literature used and cheap.

I got two grammar workbooks, daily writing practice, and open book tests to go along with two student texts and a teacher text for around $25 total. So we just up and dropped the english for now and started this. They are 4th and 6th grade....but they are liking it a lot.

Next yr we will keep doing this and use my daughters 6th gr rod and staff english as review a few days per week.

I don't follow grade levels all the time.

As for math... we have a variety of multilevel warm up books that we do together and call it whiteboard math. This includes indepth analogies, logic problems, algebra, challenge questions, etc... and then they each work on Math U See.

History... I have yet to find what I like... : (

Science... documentaries, experiments, and apologia...
redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 1:45 AM

I used to watch Channel One News when I was in school. I didn't know that they were still around. That's pretty cool. 

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

You know, it seems to me that there is so much more to the world than the average eye is allowed to see.

I believe if you look hard, there are more wonders than you could have dreamed of. - The Doctor

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Feb. 13, 2014 at 2:39 PM

I think I have decided on a few things you have listed below, are you selling any of it (from this year) at the end of this year?

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)