Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hey Lefties!

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 4:20 PM
  • 8 Replies

My youngest is a lefty. She used to use her right hand when mimicking me and her sister, but she now she only uses her left hand to color or write with. My husband thinks only one of his brothers is a lefty (one out of 9) and my aunt is a lefty. 

She's only 4 y/o, but I am wondering how difficult it might be for me to teach her how to write correctly.

If there a certain way I should teach her or is it pretty much straight forward like when teaching a righty?

by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tinkerspell
by Kera on Feb. 2, 2014 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter's a lefty and I dont find any difficultys teaching her at all.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

My little guy is a lefty. The Handwriting Without Tears teachers manual I think had how a lefty and righty  should be holding a penicl which helped me since I'm so left hand incompetent lol. After I got the hang of how to help him hold his pencil correctly (which was super easy), I haven't had any other issues.
A tip I learned though when it comes to cutting, you always hold your work with the opposite hand you cut with, so a righty typically cuts counter clockwise while a lefty cuts clockwise (i think I got the directions correct...I may have flipped them...)

katyq
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a lefty and never had a problem. If anything it "should" be easier since in earlychildhood she will want to mimick your mirror image when you show her stuff .

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Feb. 2, 2014 at 4:43 PM
I'm lefty but adapted to cutting right handed. Left handed scissors are tough to find. She will benefit greatly if she eats and writes lefty, but cuts righty. Good luck!
talktojonell
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:09 AM
My son is left-handed. I know that for questions and answers and copy work it is better to put the word or open space on the far right. Then he copies it so his word reads first and the copied word is second. That way his hand isn't covering up the word or the question while he's trying to write. There's a lot less stop and go since he doesn't have to keep lifting his arm uo to see what the word or question is.

Also, for letter formation he often does things differently. If the curriculum says start the letter at the top and bump the line down he may reverse it or draw the circle on the a clockwise instead of counterclockwise. I set a certain standard on letter formation. If it's easier for him to make the letter neatly his way I leave it alone. He does about half his way and have according to the book. I love handwriting without tears. I love the two line paper approach. My son is 7 doing kindergarten to first grade work. He is dyslexic so his learning is staggeringly uneven grade level wise.

We'll have to see how cursive goes in 2-3 years.
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:11 AM
I'm a lefty. My mom told me it was hard at first until she moved from beside me to sitting across from me. She didn't have access to left handed materials though so she had to make do.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:16 AM

I'm a lefty. The only thing to keep in mind is that the page can't be straight up and down, tilt it slightly to the right, almost to a 45 degree angle, otherwise I've seen lefties write with their wrists bent at weird angles in order to see what they were writing. Otherwise teach like she's a righty.

Home Educators Toolbox / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / KBM Creations / Pintrest / ETSY

Albert Einstein --
"It is, in fact nothing short a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom."
"Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid."

TidewaterClan
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Haley is left handed. :)  I had to help her tilt her paper enough so she wouldn't smear her words as she wrote.  We also worked together to make sure she didn't 'hook' her hand as she writes.  

One of the supervisors at work was left-handed, and he showed me what not to do when she was in kindergarten.  The hook was the main thing he did that compromised his writing the most.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)