Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Question

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 6:51 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi everyone, I am new to the group *waves* Anyway, I have a question or two if you wouldn't mind answering :)

My son is 3, and I am wanting to homeschool. I don't like the public school system and the private school here is not the best either. So anyways, I have NO IDEA where to start! I know it is still early, but was wondering, what kinda of cirruclum do you use? I am actually looking for the best cheapest one. I have looked at several and they are all pretty darn high (I know I am not going to find it very cheap). I think that is all for now. TIA for answering! :)

by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 2, 2014 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Learn what the laws for your stare are first, then learn your child'slearning style both of those will determine what is going to work for him & you. You should be able to find a free curriculum at least for the elementary years!

I don't use one so I am no help on what is good or not!

redneckgal11
by New Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Thank you for your reply! :)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Look up the Easy Peasy Homeschool curriculum. It's free and well thought out.
Codysmom2106
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I use a bunch of different things from various sources. I originally wanted to go with a boxed set but this way is working out better for us. You may need to try a few things before you figure out what works best. Good luck!
redneckgal11
by New Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Thank you ladies! :)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:43 AM
At this age, I don't think you really don't need a full blown curriculum. You can just use the resources that are all around you. Teach him like you would any other time. Keep it fun
redneckgal11
by New Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not wanting to buy a curriculum for now, I am trying to just look around and plan for the future :) I guess I should of re-worded that better in the first post. Sorry, my bad lol

Quoting kirbymom: At this age, I don't think you really don't need a full blown curriculum. You can just use the resources that are all around you. Teach him like you would any other time. Keep it fun

Take this world and give me Jesus, this is not where I belong

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:04 AM
I love sing spell read and write for the early years (k,1,2). If you find curriculum swaps and talk to them sometimes they take regular books as well. I had a few things and picked up everything but the workbooks for free. The work books come out to 50 dollars at rainbow resource and I get them this week.
-Teeter-Totter-
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:16 AM

We have a 2 1/2 year old and almost four year old, so right now we're just doing a little circle time (we use the nursery rhyme cd's from Starfall.com for movement and counting songs, then read stories and play with blocks and things). And we have a weekly schedule for crafts/baking, etc.

This fall when DS is four we're going to start using Waldorf Essentials.

edit: sorry, posted too soon, here are some of my favorite sites if you're looking at curriculums :)

simplycharlottemason.com

milestonesacademy.com

timberdoodle company (pricey packages, but neat manipulatives you could add on to whatever you choose)

waldorfessentials.com 

oakmeadow.com

starfall.com

livingbookscurriculum

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:16 AM

How To Home School will help you learn about your laws, and more. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN