Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

what subjects?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:04 PM
  • 11 Replies
hey! im new to all this & was wondering exactly what subjects get taught in what grade...I'll have a 1st & 3rd grader this fall. thanks!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:10 PM
We teach math, lit, spelling, handwriting, science and history. My kids are 1st and 2nd. But I am planning the same subjects for next year.
Codysmom2106
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:13 PM
I have a second grader. We do math, science, language arts, and social studies. Next year we will add Spanish.
kmath
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:20 PM

You can get the book Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp.  It gives an overview of what a child should learn each year and gives you ideas for teaching them.  I use it as a kind of guideline, but I don't worry if he doesn't learn everything she says he should.  He is in 2nd and we are doing Math, LA (grammar, phonics, handwriting, and reading), science, social studies, history, Spanish and Computer Science (we did typing first and now we are working on programming).  I tend to go with things he likes and follow his lead on most things.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Remember to go to your state's laws.  My state asks for certain subjects to be taught in certain grade levels.

For first grade: Daily is Phonics, handwriting, language arts, and math. 2x's a week is History, Science, and Geography.  Once a week is Social Studies, health and safety, art, and music.

For 3rd grade I have switched out Phonics for grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and mechanics; moved science, history, and geography up to 3-4 times per week; and moved health and safety, art and music up to twice a week.  Social Studies gets incorporated into geography and history by then too.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:54 AM

For us, the same subjects will be taught throughout the grammar years:

Phonics and/or spelling (spelling replaces phonics when reading fluently)

Grammar

Handwriting

Literature

Mathematics

History

Science

Latin

Italian

Music

Art and Art Appreciation

Religion

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

julesjerry
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Math, language arts, science and spanish

for second grade : http://wp.me/p3wWiR-3j

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Feb. 3, 2014 at 1:34 PM
ive tried looking there and all I can find are graduation requirements. not a grade by grade break down

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Remember to go to your state's laws.  My state asks for certain subjects to be taught in certain grade levels.

For first grade: Daily is Phonics, handwriting, language arts, and math. 2x's a week is History, Science, and Geography.  Once a week is Social Studies, health and safety, art, and music.

For 3rd grade I have switched out Phonics for grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and mechanics; moved science, history, and geography up to 3-4 times per week; and moved health and safety, art and music up to twice a week.  Social Studies gets incorporated into geography and history by then too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Then you are probably okay with whatever you decide.  Ours doesn't have a grade-by-grade breakdown per se, but lists what is expected in elementary grades and high school grades.  I have gotten a bit of flak because I have yet to teach American history (started with the ancients and we are just at Marco Polo right now) but the only thing they have said is a friendly reminder that US history IS required in elementary grades.

Quoting CowgirlMama0508: ive tried looking there and all I can find are graduation requirements. not a grade by grade break down

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Chillisarah
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 3:16 PM

For my dd it is:

Language Arts

Math

Science

Social Studies

World Languages (right now we are doing Spanish mainly but we also review other languages through out the week)

Art  (weekly)

Music (weekly)

Phys Ed/Health (weekly)

She's in Kindergarten now but she'll do these subject in 1st grade also.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Next year my first grader will be doing:
Reading
Spelling
Writing
Grammar
Math
History (ancients)
Science (life)
Spanish
Asl
Geography
Critical thinking
Art
Piano
Dance
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)