Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lego Just Got Told Off By A 7-Year-Old Girl - what do you think about this?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:45 PM
  • 27 Replies
4 moms liked this

Lego Just Got Told Off By A 7-Year-Old Girl

She may be young, but she sure knows how to write a strongly worded letter. Via @SocImages. posted on

Dear Lego company:

My name is Charlotte. I am 7 years old and I love legos but I don’t like that there are more Lego boy people and barely any Lego girls.

Today I went to a store and saw legos in two sections the girls pink and the boys blue. All the girls did was sit at home, go to the beach, and shop, and they had no jobs but the boys went on adventures, worked, saved people, and had jobs, even swam with sharks.

I want you to make more Lego girl people and let them go on adventures and have fun ok!?!

Thank you.

From Charlotte.

by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojo1974
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:52 PM

That is fantastic!  I love it!

kmath
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Well your title was nothing like the actual article, but it will get more people to read.  I do think lego needs to come up with some better "girl" ones if they are going to seperate them like that.  Or else make the others with the girl figures as well as the guy figures.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:17 PM
2 moms liked this

The writer/editor came up with the title...and as with most articles...they try to get people to read it...I just copied it and showed the source.

Quoting kmath:

Well your title was nothing like the actual article, but it will get more people to read. 

Mandallyn
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I saw this on FB.  I love it.  I wish Lego Friends people were shaped the same way as the classic lego people, or the classic lego people were all upgraded to look like the new Lego Friends people. Girls want figures that they can identify with and not all of them want to go shopping and fart around.  I'm proud to see girls speaking up and seeing how unfair gender roles can be for people who want more! 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:47 AM
3 moms liked this
Meh,it sounds like a parent 'helped' with the wording. As for the actual point, they need a few more girl yellow block people but beyond that I feel legos are fairly gender neutral. Making pink Legos is what I feel is sexist.lol
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:28 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree. I think gender equality is fine and all, but some toys just appeal more to one gender (usually) than the other, and that's fine too. We don't need to shove 'equality' down children's throats. My children make minifigs into girls all the time to suit their games - they put Hermione's hair on anybody, or even Hagrid's hair backwards, or Legolas' hair... these things are interchangeable. Two capes makes a dress, that sort of thing. 

Quoting mem82: Meh,it sounds like a parent 'helped' with the wording. As for the actual point, they need a few more girl yellow block people but beyond that I feel legos are fairly gender neutral. Making pink Legos is what I feel is sexist.lol

My girls would be bored to tears with a Lego set that involved rescuing people from a fire, or being a police officer. They just aren't interested in role playing those types of activities. Even when they play Legos with their brother, it's always more story-driven than action-driven. There ARE differences in genders, and we shouldn't try putting every toy through a sausage grinder to make them all the same.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:39 AM
4 moms liked this

I think it's silly to try to force/guilt private companies into conforming to be an ideal fit for everybody. If she likes Legos, play with them - don't complain that they aren't perfect for you.

I just don't get it, to be fair. My own daughter never quibbled about toys not being "girl enough" - and goodness knows, my daughter is ALL girl. If she wanted to play with Legos, she simply did so.

Stop making agendas out of toys.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TidewaterClan
by Kate on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM
4 moms liked this

We have The Hobbit, LOTR, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, City Sets, Friends, etc.  My younger daughter especially loves to pull that blimey pirate ship up to the Friend's restaurant.  Even pirates need a burger now and then, and Wargs still need their rabies shots at the vet clinic. :)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:14 AM
2 moms liked this
Can we get an AMEN!?

Quoting hipmomto3:

I agree. I think gender equality is fine and all, but some toys just appeal more to one gender (usually) than the other, and that's fine too. We don't need to shove 'equality' down children's throats. My children make minifigs into girls all the time to suit their games - they put Hermione's hair on anybody, or even Hagrid's hair backwards, or Legolas' hair... these things are interchangeable. Two capes makes a dress, that sort of thing. 

Quoting mem82: Meh,it sounds like a parent 'helped' with the wording. As for the actual point, they need a few more girl yellow block people but beyond that I feel legos are fairly gender neutral. Making pink Legos is what I feel is sexist.lol

My girls would be bored to tears with a Lego set that involved rescuing people from a fire, or being a police officer. They just aren't interested in role playing those types of activities. Even when they play Legos with their brother, it's always more story-driven than action-driven. There ARE differences in genders, and we shouldn't try putting every toy through a sausage grinder to make them all the same.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TidewaterClan:

We have The Hobbit, LOTR, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, City Sets, Friends, etc.  My younger daughter especially loves to pull that blimey pirate ship up to the Friend's restaurant.  Even pirates need a burger now and then, and Wargs still need their rabies shots at the vet clinic. :)

As a child I did that stuff all the time!  I had 2 older brothers and got a whole lot of boy's toys passed down.  I think "girlifying" those boys' toys took imagination!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)