Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Science??

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:53 PM
  • 9 Replies

I don't have any science curriculum for my DD.  I haven't all year.  We have done some nature stuff and cooking, but not very often.  I was at the homeschool store that is close by and they had a lot of science curriculum but it was all very religous.  I am a Christian, but I do bible study seperate from her school, except copywork (or reading if it is bible related).  I don't mind if it is a Christian curriculum...I just don't want every page explaining how God created the earth on the first day...etc. That is what our bible study time is for.  
I don't know how to explain what I'm looking for.  Does anyone know what I'm saying?? LOL 

DD is 5 and is starting her 1st grade curriculum now.  She already finished all of her kindergarten curriculum.  I would like to add more science and acually history to her curriculum.  

Suggestions?  We have a homeschool store close by with a very good selection.  

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (car seat tech) Ask me a question!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I am in the same place with you. I am Christian but I don't want a curriculum saturated with creation. I have always designed our own science.  We have used the web, library, science kits, etc

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Yeah I should just do that. I really like prepared curriculum though lol. I don't like doing a ton of prep work. I work full time and am a full time student.

Quoting irvinehiker:

I am in the same place with you. I am Christian but I don't want a curriculum saturated with creation. I have always designed our own science.  We have used the web, library, science kits, etc

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:32 PM

My daughter liked Great Science Adventures 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:39 PM
We use a living book approach for science and history. Any specific areas of science?
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:40 PM

I'm not sure, lol.  I like using living book though.  

Quoting jen2150: We use a living book approach for science and history. Any specific areas of science?

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (car seat tech) Ask me a question!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I suggest maybe picking and history that go together. One year we did the history and physics of flight. Usually I pick a central book I really like and then add in books as I come across them. Maybe each month pick science and history that go together. For example you study volcanoes and Pompeii. Good luck.
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 2, 2014 at 11:18 PM

That makes sense for sure, you need something open and go. Maybe look around at currclick.com.  There's tons of lapbooking, notebooking and unit studies.  There would be some prep work and planning, but you could do a subject a month at a time and plan it out ahead of time.

Quoting armygirl16: Yeah I should just do that. I really like prepared curriculum though lol. I don't like doing a ton of prep work. I work full time and am a full time student.

Quoting irvinehiker:

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 2:16 AM
http://amblesideonline.org/01bks.shtml
redhead-bedhead
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 3:06 AM

I'm ordering R.E.A.L Science Odyssey for my daughter this year (also first grade) I really like the preview of it that I saw on their website. It is a secular curriculum.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)