Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Suggestions for Field Trips Please

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi,

I have one 7 year old boy. Any suggestions for easy fieldtrips for one mom and one boy would be appreciated. Money isn't really a big deal right now and we live in a Big Ten university town that is well-resourced.

So far, we've done a tea house and had a Japanese tea ceremony.

I'm just at a loss for ways to get out of the house and ideas to tie it back into learning.

Thanks
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:17 AM
Replies (11-15):
elizabooks
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

What about grocery stores?

We have  Hah Na Run  here which is a large Asian Grocery store next to it is a food court that sells Korean, Tai and Japanese traditional meals.  On the other side of town is a large Spanish grocery surrounded by resturants.

after a short lesson on the region we will be going to the store and doing a treasure hunt. A list with descriptions of various vegetables that they have to find.  A search for some different sodas (like Sprite with Pom or Aspagarus soda) and so on. Then they get to go to the resturant and sample some of the items on the list.

We will look up some of the same words (egg in Thai, Manadrian, Cantonese, Korean) and compare them to see if we can figure out how similar they are (like Italian , Spanish, French to English)  due to how close or far apart the countries are.

coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:43 PM

museums, plays, recitals, zoo's.  You can usually hit the fire station and police stations for tours.  You can contact bakeries for tours as well.

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:19 AM
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:12 AM
My daughter goes to plays often. Usually put on by one of the children's theaters. She loves it. :) she is 5.5. She has seen fiddler on the roof, Peter pan and Charlottes web since December. It has been fun. I love going to plays. :)
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:31 PM
We are in st louis missourri area. We have a ton of opportunities around here. Most costs money, but some are free or low cost. The wild bird sanctuary is free from what I hear, but we haven't been there yet. We have only lived here almost 2 yrs.

What helps us is that we are in two home school groups and one specific subgroup that arranges field trips and playdates. We also have some close friends that hs from another town so we go places together as well.

We also have several public libraries around as well as a christian library that hosts a ton of homeschool stuff

Quoting talktojonell: Lol, you sound like you live in Wisconsin. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quoting KrissyKC: We recently visited the humane society. Doing a candy making tour...maple sugar tree tapping...historical society homeschool day...soap making tour...scavenger hunts at park... wild bird sanctuary.. wolf sanctuary...pottery painting... eagle viewing... old town days... trip to amish town to buy stuff... art museum....any museum...historical homes tour...train ride... bus or subway excursions...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)