Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

question for those with middle school aged kids

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:06 PM
  • 11 Replies

what do you use for a writing curriculum and why do you like it?

thanks!!

by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:31 PM
I don't use one for mine,so here's a bump.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I do not have middle schoolers right now, but when I taught 8th graders, I bought them a book called Writers Inc. They also have books (handbooks) for younger grades called Writers Express.  They were such good and useful books that I bought them for my honors classroom out of pocket.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 2:12 PM

When DD12 was home, we used IEW and *loved* it. It's amazing and always my go-to.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 2:34 PM

I've not found a program my daughter and I can used without fighting.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 4:07 PM
Write shop. It is the first program I found that I like. It is not expensive and is filled with creative writing.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 4:24 PM
We used rod and staff english the first half of the year and it gave them writing lessons at least once every 2 weeeks. Then to change things up, we switched to pearson literature and they are writing constantly with that.

They also participated in NaNoWriMo (national novel writing month). We went all out and bought the workbook to go with it.

On top of that, we have dictation and proofreading practice where we focus on the mechanics.

Occassionally, we stop it all and just write letters or stories or finish the story projects.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 4:50 PM

We're using Jump In and ds really likes it.  We plan on using it for both 7th and 8th grades.

I also looked at Killgallon's Sentence Composing and Paragraph Writing for Middle School (I plan on using the ones for high school when the time comes).

We've used Writing Strands and Spectrum workbooks and ds didn't care for either.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Is IEW a program where you get discs and workbooks that your child works through, or is there any online portion to it?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

When DD12 was home, we used IEW and *loved* it. It's amazing and always my go-to.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:13 PM

It is DVD based; if you buy the SWI (student writing intensive), it comes with the DVD set and a student notebook for assignments and sheets (no workbook, per se).

No online portion.

Quoting Knightquester:

Is IEW a program where you get discs and workbooks that your child works through, or is there any online portion to it?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM

My children write very well.  My older ones are hitting high school age and I would like them as prepared for college as possible.  I am looking into other options to challenge them, such as an online writing course that is taught and graded by somebody outside myself and their CT (certified teacher).  I may still look into IEW, but I don't think it's what I'm looking for.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

It is DVD based; if you buy the SWI (student writing intensive), it comes with the DVD set and a student notebook for assignments and sheets (no workbook, per se).

No online portion.

Quoting Knightquester:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)