Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How are you teaching or including Black History Month to your elementary school aged children? Is there worksheets or a certain way you are explaining it? Maybe a different person every day? I'm looking for some ideas for my 1st grader!

Thanks!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 6:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:51 AM
*pats
Mobile is annoying

Quoting mem82: I do see what you are saying. LOL I don't agree with some of it, but I understand why you have that opinion. 8) As far as I'm concerned,the only umbrella we all live under is the one called being human. As soon as we catch Bigfoot,I will agree that we can give him a month because of his "different" history. Heeheehee

*pants the soap box fondly and waits for some one else*

Quoting talktojonell: This is just my opinion, but I think that blindly ignoring color doesn't teach children to be color blind. By recognizing race and ethnicity and heritage of everyone you create a platform for teaching your children about differences.I think we need to talk about our differences under the umbrella of our differences contribute to a greater whole and a philosophy of humanism.

In reading and when introducing any figure, we do a quick 3-5 minute bio of the person. Their race, any significant about their development. We look up what state or country they're from or their ancestors if known. Two or three sentences about how their childhood may have been different or similar to my kids and call it a day. They may be Norwegian or African-American or Chinese or French. Maybe all I can find out is that they grew up in Iowa and attended the University of Texas. Doesn't matter, just something.

Speaking as a minority there's no such thing as color blind. Color is always seen. The best you can be is actionable blind meaning you don't actually do anything differently when you encounter someone. Speaking as a human being everyone comes from a unique cultural, racial and ethnic mold. Everyone has things that are intrinsic to their development of personhood that shaped them and colored their experiences (pun intended). Growing up in a rural area, Jewish, not having snow in winter with a large family....our differences are what allow us to bring something unique to the table.

As far as Black History Month, yes I agree specific months weeks or days shouldn't be necessary to showcase things we should be doing year round. However, they do serve as a reminder to allow us to reflect on whether we're doing our job. Whether it's African-American History month or Autism Awareness week or Nurse's Appreciation day.

Ok. I'm done with the soapbox for whomever wants it next lol.

Quoting mem82: We don't really focus on color at all. When we talk about such and such being wrote/painted/invented whatever, skin color isn't addressed unless it highlights some part of the story. I think the only way to kill rasicm is to actively teach kids to be color blind. Having a month,does nothing but highlight someone's color,gender, or nationality NOT what they should be known for. Lol sorry, this is my soapbox. Am getting off it. Try superteacher.com.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Hmmmm, I don't know. I have used it a lot.

Quoting elizabooks:

superteacher.com was an unclaimed domain link......

Honey_Comb
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 9:42 AM

In a perfect world I would agree with you. I do however believe that just because you ignore race (or whatever it  may be) doesn't make the hate that is out in the world go away. And our kids will see it eventually. No matter how much we try to shelter them from it. I see it as very important to recognize cultures, race and religion so that our kids can make better choices than we have in the past. I also agree that a month devoted to one race just makes it more obvious that there is a problem in society. I mean there isn't a white history month, hispanic history month, italian history month and so forth. You both make great points and maybe what I will take from it is picking someone famous irreguardless of race, heritage, religion and study them for a bit. So in a way we are noticing their heritage but not focusing on it. 

Thank you for your input it really helps!!

Quoting mem82: I do see what you are saying. LOL I don't agree with some of it, but I understand why you have that opinion. 8) As far as I'm concerned,the only umbrella we all live under is the one called being human. As soon as we catch Bigfoot,I will agree that we can give him a month because of his "different" history. Heeheehee

Quoting talktojonell: This is just my opinion, but I think that blindly ignoring color doesn't teach children to be color blind. By recognizing race and ethnicity and heritage of everyone you create a platform for teaching your children about differences.I think we need to talk about our differences under the umbrella of our differences contribute to a greater whole and a philosophy of humanism.

In reading and when introducing any figure, we do a quick 3-5 minute bio of the person. Their race, any significant about their development. We look up what state or country they're from or their ancestors if known. Two or three sentences about how their childhood may have been different or similar to my kids and call it a day. They may be Norwegian or African-American or Chinese or French. Maybe all I can find out is that they grew up in Iowa and attended the University of Texas. Doesn't matter, just something.

Speaking as a minority there's no such thing as color blind. Color is always seen. The best you can be is actionable blind meaning you don't actually do anything differently when you encounter someone. Speaking as a human being everyone comes from a unique cultural, racial and ethnic mold. Everyone has things that are intrinsic to their development of personhood that shaped them and colored their experiences (pun intended). Growing up in a rural area, Jewish, not having snow in winter with a large family....our differences are what allow us to bring something unique to the table.

As far as Black History Month, yes I agree specific months weeks or days shouldn't be necessary to showcase things we should be doing year round. However, they do serve as a reminder to allow us to reflect on whether we're doing our job. Whether it's African-American History month or Autism Awareness week or Nurse's Appreciation day.

Quoting mem82: We don't really focus on color at all. When we talk about such and such being wrote/painted/invented whatever, skin color isn't addressed unless it highlights some part of the story. I think the only way to kill rasicm is to actively teach kids to be color blind. Having a month,does nothing but highlight someone's color,gender, or nationality NOT what they should be known for. Lol sorry, this is my soapbox. Am getting off it. Try superteacher.com.

Chillisarah
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

There is a Hispanic history month, Native American month, etc.

I think that White history month is generally every month in this country and has been since the beginning because of systematic oppression etc.  To be completely honest, I am very certain that I wouldn't know half of the black, hispanic and native american people that contributed to this country/world if it weren't for these months to introduce America to their contribution to this world.  They need representation because they are under-represented since forever and still are without these months and that's what these months are mostly about.

Quoting Honey_Comb:

In a perfect world I would agree with you. I do however believe that just because you ignore race (or whatever it  may be) doesn't make the hate that is out in the world go away. And our kids will see it eventually. No matter how much we try to shelter them from it. I see it as very important to recognize cultures, race and religion so that our kids can make better choices than we have in the past. I also agree that a month devoted to one race just makes it more obvious that there is a problem in society. I mean there isn't a white history month, hispanic history month, italian history month and so forth. You both make great points and maybe what I will take from it is picking someone famous irreguardless of race, heritage, religion and study them for a bit. So in a way we are noticing their heritage but not focusing on it. 

Honey_Comb
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Well then I guess I should re word....There needs to be as much emphasis on the other heritage and race months as there is for Black History Month. I didn't know there were months for others. I apologize for not having that information. I agree with the white history...seems to be all the time and that just emphasizes our problem in society....There should be equal attention paid to all races, heritages, and religions instead of just a select couple. 

Quoting Chillisarah:

I think that White history month is generally every month in this country and has been since the beginning because of systematic oppression etc.  To be completely honest, I am very certain that I wouldn't know half of the black, hispanic and native american people that contributed to this country/world if it weren't for these months to introduce America to their contribution to this world.  They need representation because they are under-represented since forever and still are without these months and that's what these months are mostly about.

Quoting Honey_Comb:

Chillisarah
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:25 AM

No need to apologize :-) I was not saying it in any kind of way, just wanted to tell you about that.  It's understandable that you would not know about them because in certain regions of the country they are equally emphasized and others they are not.

Quoting Honey_Comb:

Well then I guess I should re word....There needs to be as much emphasis on the other heritage and race months as there is for Black History Month. I didn't know there were months for others. I apologize for not having that information. I agree with the white history...seems to be all the time and that just emphasizes our problem in society....There should be equal attention paid to all races, heritages, and religions instead of just a select couple. 

Quoting Chillisarah:

Honey_Comb
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:29 AM
See and that's just not right. All races should be studied always. I'm 27 and had no idea there were months for others. Why wasn't this ever touched on? That aggravating to me. I went to public school and all we touched on was black history month. Which is important but so is Native Americans and Hispanics.

Quoting Chillisarah:

No need to apologize :-) I was not saying it in any kind of way, just wanted to tell you about that.  It's understandable that you would not know about them because in certain regions of the country they are equally emphasized and others they are not.

Quoting Honey_Comb:

Quoting Chillisarah:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Oky so here's my problem with all of these ethnic (for lack of a better word) history months..... Hispanic History month is from Sept15-Oct15;And then hey, just to step on each other October is Muslim American History month; Native American History month is November; Black History month is February; Women's History month is March; Jewish Amer History Month is May.  Then what?  Let's just ignore these people the rest of the year?  Also it takes history ridiculously out of order.  Then we wonder why our kids cannot place events and stories in a concise timeline?  Of course not.  Creating these special months where we discuss these specific topics is taking a melon-baller and removing them from their context.  And PS does that mean that white history is really only being taught in December, January, and April?  Silly.

We as a family do not celebrate these months because the contributions of Hispanics, Native Americans, African Americans, Muslim Americans, Jewish Americans and Female Americans should be placed contextually!

Chillisarah
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Hispanic Heritage Month is Sept 15th -Oct 15th and Native American month is in November.  If you look at the community events around those times in the paper you will see events and stuff to take the kids to.  So, now you can introduce those months as well! :-)

I have no idea why certain regions ignore them, I think the answer is a bit more deep than my brain can think this morning, lol.

Quoting Honey_Comb: See and that's just not right. All races should be studied always. I'm 27 and had no idea there were months for others. Why wasn't this ever touched on? That aggravating to me. I went to public school and all we touched on was black history month. Which is important but so is Native Americans and Hispanics.

Quoting Chillisarah:

Quoting Honey_Comb:

Quoting Chillisarah:

Honey_Comb
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Haha. I know that feeling!
I'm definitely going to be doing some research tonight. Lol. Thanks for the info!!

Quoting Chillisarah:

Hispanic Heritage Month is Sept 15th -Oct 15th and Native American month is in November.  If you look at the community events around those times in the paper you will see events and stuff to take the kids to.  So, now you can introduce those months as well! :-)

I have no idea why certain regions ignore them, I think the answer is a bit more deep than my brain can think this morning, lol.

Quoting Honey_Comb: See and that's just not right. All races should be studied always. I'm 27 and had no idea there were months for others. Why wasn't this ever touched on? That aggravating to me. I went to public school and all we touched on was black history month. Which is important but so is Native Americans and Hispanics.

Quoting Chillisarah:

Quoting Honey_Comb:

Quoting Chillisarah:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN