Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How are you teaching or including Black History Month to your elementary school aged children? Is there worksheets or a certain way you are explaining it? Maybe a different person every day? I'm looking for some ideas for my 1st grader!

Thanks!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 6:19 PM
Replies (21-30):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

This is a lot of the way I feel just wrote out much better. LOL

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Oky so here's my problem with all of these ethnic (for lack of a better word) history months..... Hispanic History month is from Sept15-Oct15;And then hey, just to step on each other October is Muslim American History month; Native American History month is November; Black History month is February; Women's History month is March; Jewish Amer History Month is May.  Then what?  Let's just ignore these people the rest of the year?  Also it takes history ridiculously out of order.  Then we wonder why our kids cannot place events and stories in a concise timeline?  Of course not.  Creating these special months where we discuss these specific topics is taking a melon-baller and removing them from their context.  And PS does that mean that white history is really only being taught in December, January, and April?  Silly.

We as a family do not celebrate these months because the contributions of Hispanics, Native Americans, African Americans, Muslim Americans, Jewish Americans and Female Americans should be placed contextually!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I had these months nearly shoved down my throat as a teacher in an extremely diverse school.  We really needed to acknowledge each and every one of the months, if we did one.  It made me really hone an argument against them.  The year we did them all, we really got nothing else done!

Quoting mem82:

This is a lot of the way I feel just wrote out much better. LOL

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Oky so here's my problem with all of these ethnic (for lack of a better word) history months..... Hispanic History month is from Sept15-Oct15;And then hey, just to step on each other October is Muslim American History month; Native American History month is November; Black History month is February; Women's History month is March; Jewish Amer History Month is May.  Then what?  Let's just ignore these people the rest of the year?  Also it takes history ridiculously out of order.  Then we wonder why our kids cannot place events and stories in a concise timeline?  Of course not.  Creating these special months where we discuss these specific topics is taking a melon-baller and removing them from their context.  And PS does that mean that white history is really only being taught in December, January, and April?  Silly.

We as a family do not celebrate these months because the contributions of Hispanics, Native Americans, African Americans, Muslim Americans, Jewish Americans and Female Americans should be placed contextually!

elizabooks
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 1:32 PM
Huh.it works on my phone but not my computer

Quoting mem82: Hmmmm, I don't know. I have used it a lot.

Quoting elizabooks:

superteacher.com was an unclaimed domain link......

elizabooks
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 1:35 PM
Perhaps we should have scientist month, writers month, explorer month , musicians month?
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Weird!

Quoting elizabooks: Huh.it works on my phone but not my computer

Quoting mem82: Hmmmm, I don't know. I have used it a lot.

Quoting elizabooks:

superteacher.com was an unclaimed domain link......

Chillisarah
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Honey_comb we went over this website in my Anthopology and Sociology class.  I don't know how old your kids are, but I know that eventually I'm going to go over this site with my kids as well.  A very clear perspective of race - it's history, etc.  I think it sets a good foundation when going over months such as Black History Month, Native American month etc. so please check it out :-)

http://www.pbs.org/race/000_General/000_00-Home.htm

Honey_Comb
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I will definitely check it out! My girls are 7, 5, and 15 months. This question was directed towards my 7 year old but I'd like to include my 5 year old as well. :)

Quoting Chillisarah:

Honey_comb we went over this website in my Anthopology and Sociology class.  I don't know how old your kids are, but I know that eventually I'm going to go over this site with my kids as well.  A very clear perspective of race - it's history, etc.  I think it sets a good foundation when going over months such as Black History Month, Native American month etc. so please check it out :-)

http://www.pbs.org/race/000_General/000_00-Home.htm

Peaches808
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:58 PM

very helpful thanks

SarahinWA
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I just want to say thank you for this respectful and thoughtful conversation on a potentially explosive topic. It is a pleasure to consider these issues in an environment free from name calling.
Honey_Comb
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm glad it worked out this way. After the first couple comments I was a bit worried but we all handled it well!!

Quoting SarahinWA: I just want to say thank you for this respectful and thoughtful conversation on a potentially explosive topic. It is a pleasure to consider these issues in an environment free from name calling.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)