Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How are you teaching or including Black History Month to your elementary school aged children? Is there worksheets or a certain way you are explaining it? Maybe a different person every day? I'm looking for some ideas for my 1st grader!

Thanks!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 6:19 PM
Replies (31-34):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

8) This group is fairly easy going.

Quoting SarahinWA: I just want to say thank you for this respectful and thoughtful conversation on a potentially explosive topic. It is a pleasure to consider these issues in an environment free from name calling.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:39 PM

I haven't done it. I figure we'll get to it eventually.

TidewaterClan
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this
This is a good website Sarah.

Quoting Chillisarah:

Honey_comb we went over this website in my Anthopology and Sociology class.  I don't know how old your kids are, but I know that eventually I'm going to go over this site with my kids as well.  A very clear perspective of race - it's history, etc.  I think it sets a good foundation when going over months such as Black History Month, Native American month etc. so please check it out :-)

http://www.pbs.org/race/000_General/000_00-Home.htm

TidewaterClan
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:00 PM
We discuss people as we go. We've visited many places with info about the Wright Brothers. They published a newspaper Paul Laurence Dunbar edited titled "The Dayton Tattler." We discuss Dr. Martin Luther King often, along with many other folks. We do celebrate cultural holidays like Chinese New Year & the Day of the Dead and research their meanings. I guess we just tie it into our everyday studies.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)