Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does it work well for you? How do you cover everything?

Mondays both my boys have speech right before lunch. I've been able to use the afternoons for schoolwork, but I found out today my 6 year old is going to have physical therapy also on Mondays. I'm thinking of just using the rest of the day for art and reading books. I'm debating either going to a 4 day week ,adding Saturday morning too since my dh usually works OT then or just not worrying about it since we go year round.
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Bluecalm:
Quoting bluerooffarm:

I used to do a 4 day week, but we decided that traveling for 4 hours in the car on Fridays could be a rolling schoolhouse.  It's a short day, but we still count it as a day.  Plus I added a few things on Fridays like when we eat breakfast out I have my oldest figure out the tip, my youngest counts out the money and the middle figures out the change.  

On the trip to grandma's house, they listen to books on CD (usually a lit book and a chapter of Story of the World), draw a history journal entry, and do a math review worksheet.  We discuss the SotW chapter.  On the way home, they finish their science charts or graphs.  Write up their conclusions.  We discuss any results they didn't understand.  I quiz spelling words.

Most of it is oral, they don't do any handwriting practice, geography, real reading, but they do get quite a bit of work done and so I count it.

Is there anything you can do during your outing day?

I could play some sort of educational CD during the drive, that would be about 45 minutes total. We don't wait long for appointments once we get there. Afterwards would be lunch and he'd probably need a nap. I could read to them during lunch. We started the fact books that go along with the Magic Treehouse books so that would work for Science. I could also fit in some computer practice before supper.

IMO you could call that at least a half day!  I just found that it was very hard to get all of our days (state required days) when we only did 4 days a week.

But also remember that IMO we are always learning!  So I could count every single day if I really wanted to fight with the state!  LOL

My state is super easy. I just want to make sure I'm meeting the 180 day requirement even though I don't have to report it. The law is really vague, says something like they have to have a comparable education to what they would have in ps.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Quoting Bluecalm:

My state is super easy. I just want to make sure I'm meeting the 180 day requirement even though I don't have to report it. The law is really vague, says something like they have to have a comparable education to what they would have in ps.

I loved that.  That made my day!!

Sorry, it just made me giggle!

Krystal.Ingalls
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:58 AM

We do a 4 day week usually.  Fridays are our free days if he gets everything done he was supposed to and he doesn't have a bad attitude towards his school work.  :)  

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Bluecalm:

Me too lol. Especially since last year the school wanted to put him in resource and have him repeat Kindergarten this year and here he is at home doing a lot of 2nd grade work. Thank goodness he's not getting a comparable education haha.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Bluecalm:

Me too lol. Especially since last year the school wanted to put him in resource and have him repeat Kindergarten this year and here he is at home doing a lot of 2nd grade work. Thank goodness he's not getting a comparable education haha.

That is GREAT!!  I'm so glad for the both of you!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 12:20 PM

We do and we plan on continuing. My eldest (in brick and mortar private) only has a half day on Fridays, so we do not do "work" on Fridays. It works well because, when co-op season starts back, Friday afternoon is co-op day.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:16 PM

I'd love to have a 4 day week. Dh is off on Wednesdays, and since he has the only car, it would be nice to be able to run some errands. I've wanted too but I always felt so guilty...

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree!
Do a verbal review class while you drive and add in a new piece of information or two pertinent to the discussion while you review. THAT would be a school day too, however short it may turn out to be. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Bluecalm:
Quoting bluerooffarm:

I used to do a 4 day week, but we decided that traveling for 4 hours in the car on Fridays could be a rolling schoolhouse.  It's a short day, but we still count it as a day.  Plus I added a few things on Fridays like when we eat breakfast out I have my oldest figure out the tip, my youngest counts out the money and the middle figures out the change.  

On the trip to grandma's house, they listen to books on CD (usually a lit book and a chapter of Story of the World), draw a history journal entry, and do a math review worksheet.  We discuss the SotW chapter.  On the way home, they finish their science charts or graphs.  Write up their conclusions.  We discuss any results they didn't understand.  I quiz spelling words.

Most of it is oral, they don't do any handwriting practice, geography, real reading, but they do get quite a bit of work done and so I count it.

Is there anything you can do during your outing day?

I could play some sort of educational CD during the drive, that would be about 45 minutes total. We don't wait long for appointments once we get there. Afterwards would be lunch and he'd probably need a nap. I could read to them during lunch. We started the fact books that go along with the Magic Treehouse books so that would work for Science. I could also fit in some computer practice before supper.

IMO you could call that at least a half day!  I just found that it was very hard to get all of our days (state required days) when we only did 4 days a week.

But also remember that IMO we are always learning!  So I could count every single day if I really wanted to fight with the state!  LOL

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:32 AM

We kind of do.  I find by the time Friday comes we are all just done so Fridays are our "fun days."  We play games and we are using meet the masters to do art on Fridays.  It's totally laid back and whatever we feel like learning that day.  The rest of our days are pretty structured but not Fridays.  We use it for field trips a lot of times or if we need to run errands.

momof3inTN
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:56 AM

We do. We go Monday through Thursday. Friday we clean the house and get ready for Shabbat, no schoolwork. We go year round. It works great. We still get everything done and it makes lesson planning easier.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)