Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling in NY

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 3:07 PM
  • 5 Replies
My baby is 11 months but I'm thinking about homeschooling in the future. How did you go about doing it? How did you make the curriculum plan? How long did you home school? Did your kids have to take tests or show work for proof? Any advice appreciated.
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I live in NY.  I just told the kids about homeschooling and they agreed.  Our plan of instruction is based on the Typical Course of Study from worldbook.com.  I just copy and paste the subjects and sub-topics into our "IHIP".  This is a general list broken down by grade level and it's very vague which is great because it pretty much works with any homeschool method and curriculum.   I have homeschooled since 2005 - my girls went onto public high school (specialized and focus-based in NYC) and my ds is still homeschooling since Kindergarten (he's in 7th grade now).  In NY, standardized tests are required every other year from 4th to 8th grades (most of us do 5th and 7th) and every year from 9th to 12th grades.  No work is shown for proof.  On the years you don't test, you write up a narrative assessment.

All required paperwork looks a lot scarier than it really is.  I have everything I use in the sidebar of my blog under "Paperwork Samples".  You don't have to worry about that until the year your child turns 6. 

Angela

dd(20) Full-time job and budding entrepreneur
dd(17) Senior at the (real) Fame school
ds(12) 7th Grade relaxed, eclectic homeschooler

Check out my Blog!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:21 AM
Thanks for sharing! :) Much appreciated.
&
Quoting NYCitymomx3:

I live in NY.  I just told the kids about homeschooling and they agreed.  Our plan of instruction is based on the Typical Course of Study from worldbook.com.  I just copy and paste the subjects and sub-topics into our "IHIP".  This is a general list broken down by grade level and it's very vague which is great because it pretty much works with any homeschool method and curriculum.   I have homeschooled since 2005 - my girls went onto public high school (specialized and focus-based in NYC) and my ds is still homeschooling since Kindergarten (he's in 7th grade now).  In NY, standardized tests are required every other year from 4th to 8th grades (most of us do 5th and 7th) and every year from 9th to 12th grades.  No work is shown for proof.  On the years you don't test, you write up a narrative assessment.

All required paperwork looks a lot scarier than it really is.  I have everything I use in the sidebar of my blog under "Paperwork Samples".  You don't have to worry about that until the year your child turns 6. 

Corina1987
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Thanks! It does seem a little scary but it sounds great. I will check out that website. :D

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

MamaDearie
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:44 PM

We are also in NY - upstate- not the city. I have heard that it can be much more difficult in the city than up here. I also know that it varies from district to district as to how stringent they may be in enforcing the letter of the law. Check out http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/New_York.pdf for copy of the pertinent laws in our state. :-) 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Daisypath Valentines tickers
Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

I am a conservative Christian homeschooling mama of 3 who believes strongly in traditional families and traditional roles. 

Corina1987
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 3:01 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm worried about how strict it can be. I'm in Westchester, NY ( Mount Vernon ). It is near bronx, NY.

Quoting MamaDearie:

We are also in NY - upstate- not the city. I have heard that it can be much more difficult in the city than up here. I also know that it varies from district to district as to how stringent they may be in enforcing the letter of the law. Check out http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/New_York.pdf for copy of the pertinent laws in our state. :-) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN