Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does anyone use this curriculum?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:17 PM
  • 8 Replies
http://amblesideonline.org/index.shtml

Do you like it? How do the kids learn how to write and spell. Just general views and opinions. Thanks :)
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 5:34 PM

We used AO for several years.  We loved it.  To get the full effect, you have to read the whole website and really understand how it all works.  Charlotte Mason's methods are wonderful.  The only reason we stopped is because ds needed something less literature-based due to his dyslexia.  

Kids learn writing and spelling from copywork, (oral and written) narrations, dictation exercises, making nature study scrapbooks, keeping up with a timeline or book of centuries, etc.   So many ways!  But no boring drills and tedious busywork.  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 5:53 PM

I've heard good things about it.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Nope, but here's a bump!

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 6:23 PM
I'm thinking about this program because of all the literature. However I still want to do some book work for grammar, writing, and spelling with them.

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

We used AO for several years.  We loved it.  To get the full effect, you have to read the whole website and really understand how it all works.  Charlotte Mason's methods are wonderful.  The only reason we stopped is because ds needed something less literature-based due to his dyslexia.  

Kids learn writing and spelling from copywork, (oral and written) narrations, dictation exercises, making nature study scrapbooks, keeping up with a timeline or book of centuries, etc.   So many ways!  But no boring drills and tedious busywork.  

julesjerry
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Never heard of it, will try to read the website.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Many people use it just for the literature and add in what ever else they want or need.  

Quoting chotovec82: I'm thinking about this program because of all the literature. However I still want to do some book work for grammar, writing, and spelling with them. 
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Yea maybe. I love the literaTure, geography, history, and science of this. Not too sure about them learning writing, spelling, or grammar tho. I have first language lessons and Writing with ease for free so I wanted to give those a try this year.

Quoting Silverkitty:

Many people use it just for the literature and add in what ever else they want or need.  

Quoting chotovec82: I'm thinking about this program because of all the literature. However I still want to do some book work for grammar, writing, and spelling with them. 
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:03 AM
I haven't used it but it looksp decent.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN