Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I went to the library today and checked out "its not the stork", "why boys and girls are different", "everyone has a belly button", and "what's the big secret". I wasn't sure which book or books id use but I just grabbed some and figured id look them over before choosing. They're all basically the same. Some talk about touching and that its ok to ask someone not to touch you, bad touches vs feel good touches...

I'm not sure what I expected but I didn't get it. Lol.

I was not expecting any of them to go into detail of what sex is (a few goes into detail about the man putting his penis in the girls vagina and it feeling good , him ejaculating, etc). Masturbation...

I'm not at all as ready for this as I thought. I talked to DD today (she's 6) and told her wed read them and id answer any questions she had tomorrow, when SO is off work and can entertain the younger kids. I explained this is nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed of but I did not want her talking to other kids about anything we discuss because their parents may not be ready for them to know these things.

she is still very eager to learn about it but I'm freaking out inside. Haha.

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 9:45 PM
Replies (21-22):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:16 PM
2 moms liked this
I remember my daughter at about eight asking me about how babies were made.

I started with, well, ladies have a vagina and men have a penis...

"Wait...wait... I changed my mind. I don't want to know yet."

I told her it was ok to learn about life and the differences in men and women and she shook her head and put her fingers in her ears.

I just laughed (on the inside) and left her readiness up to her.

She has the jist of things now and is 12. She has been on her cycles for about 8 months now.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:34 PM
When my DD was around 8 she was asking those questions...she is now 10 and I still haven't told her about the actual physical act of sex. She knows about the sperm and the egg...and I think at this point she has heard how they meet...but when she was younger I just answered questions as they came up. I have a degree in child development and also checked with a friend who is a family and sex therapist, and based on my knowledge and confirmed by her advice, I only answered questions and did not give anything more than what was asked. If they aren't asking, they aren't ready.

I personally think 6 is very young to know the details of actual intercourse and any variations of it..and I would pull her out of school if the school felt the need to discuss anything about sex with her at 6.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN