Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I went to the library today and checked out "its not the stork", "why boys and girls are different", "everyone has a belly button", and "what's the big secret". I wasn't sure which book or books id use but I just grabbed some and figured id look them over before choosing. They're all basically the same. Some talk about touching and that its ok to ask someone not to touch you, bad touches vs feel good touches...

I'm not sure what I expected but I didn't get it. Lol.

I was not expecting any of them to go into detail of what sex is (a few goes into detail about the man putting his penis in the girls vagina and it feeling good , him ejaculating, etc). Masturbation...

I'm not at all as ready for this as I thought. I talked to DD today (she's 6) and told her wed read them and id answer any questions she had tomorrow, when SO is off work and can entertain the younger kids. I explained this is nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed of but I did not want her talking to other kids about anything we discuss because their parents may not be ready for them to know these things.

she is still very eager to learn about it but I'm freaking out inside. Haha.

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 9:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:14 AM
My 8 year old just started asking and telling her babies come from special hugs from a mommy and Daddy hugs is not cutting it.

I am going to go get the other American girl care and keeping of you and see what it is like then talk to her about the basics.
Howardx5
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:28 AM
Oh my! That will be a hard one too!

Quoting paganbaby:

It's real fun when your 11 year old asks about gay sex,lol! I had a time with that one... Before then I tried to keep the sex talk to just baby making.

Howardx5
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:30 AM
That's what we told DD too. Then she came home saying her BFF was preg because she hugged a boy in class.

Quoting debramommyof4: My 8 year old just started asking and telling her babies come from special hugs from a mommy and Daddy hugs is not cutting it.

I am going to go get the other American girl care and keeping of you and see what it is like then talk to her about the basics.
julesjerry
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:38 AM
2 moms liked this

My daughter is 6 and i am not ready and wont be ready untill age 18 or 20 years for that.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:58 AM
My kids know regular hugs won't do it. But the oldest really wants to know how it works.

Quoting Howardx5: That's what we told DD too. Then she came home saying her BFF was preg because she hugged a boy in class.

Quoting debramommyof4: My 8 year old just started asking and telling her babies come from special hugs from a mommy and Daddy hugs is not cutting it.

schoolmarm1
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:10 PM
Personally, I wouldn't give much detail to a child that age. :)
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Yeah...LOL!

Quoting Howardx5: Oh my! That will be a hard one too!

Quoting paganbaby:

It's real fun when your 11 year old asks about gay sex,lol! I had a time with that one... Before then I tried to keep the sex talk to just baby making.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

jeng1980
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 5:11 AM

Wow!  I have 3 kids.  Ages 10, 8, and 5.  We haven't had the talk yet.  My mom never talked to me about sex.  She never even showed me how to put makeup on or paint my nails or any stuff like that.  I don't really know why.  She was present and so was my dad my whole childhood.  I guess she was just too shy to do it or maybe I grew up so fast that she didn't have a chance.  Who knows but I was waiting until my 10 year old is a few years older so that my youngest boy can sit in on the talk too.  It's going to be a very basic conversation and if they have questions after that then I will have DAD to answer them.  LOL!  I will also probably wait until my daughter is 10.  I don't think there's any reason for them to know anything now.

Tal0n
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:25 AM

I really liked the "It's not the Stork" series...if you're not getting what you want from that one, get the next age level up, depending on what she's hearing that you want to correct!

Tal0n
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:31 AM

It was pretty easy here...one of the perks of being an Aspie and having a scientifically (and artistically) minded Aspie daughter.

"When two people of the same gender fall in love, they find ways to make each other feel good together, just like people of opposite genders.  It's part of how all human beings bond to each other when they fall in love and decide they want to be together."

She asked questions after that, and knowing her I explained kissing and manual touching and said, "There are other ways, but I bet if I start telling you, you'll get grossed out."  She insisted, I moved on to oral sex and she got grossed out.

It really was easier for us, because at age 5, she was present for her niece's birth and knew all about it, and at 6 this was the child who while filling out a number chart came downstairs to show me how she'd made the number 8 into a little chick..."Here's the legs and wings and beak and his eye..." and the nine into an embryo.  "See, here is the eye and the umbilical cord and the arm buds...it's not a fetus yet..."

Quoting Howardx5: Oh my! That will be a hard one too!

Quoting paganbaby:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN