Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Help...the word of.

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:07 AM
  • 21 Replies

I need help.  The word of has my middle boy stymied.  It has been on his sight words list for nearly 3 months now(October, November, and January)!  It has been on his spelling list (off and on) for 2 months (November and January, here we are in February and he still doesn't get it).  

I know it's one of the tough ones.  I know that it was misused so often that I would put it on the first list for my 9th and tenth graders every year.  I am starting to get frustrated for him!  I hate watching him struggle with this.  The problem is that he sees it in nearly all of his books.  It's just 2 little letters!  Argh!

Anybody have any ideas?

Here's how we run a Sight Words List:  The first 3 days, I say the words and he repeats them.  Then he reads the word cards 3 times per day.  When he gets the words correct 3 days in a row, he retires the words.  When he has retired most of the 10 words in the stack, I pull out the huge stack of retired words and we do a lightning round.  Usually he gets them all right, every once in a while he needs a review of the retired words.  Anyway, he has never retired the word of.  There are days it is the only word we work on.  We have started on some spelling lists.  They are the simple 2-3 letter words.  We do 8 phonetical words and 2 sight words.  He has never gotten of correct.  I just do not know what to do.  We've tried making games out of it, we've tried copying the word, we've tried using it in sentences (part of the spelling work).  Nothing seems to work.  He is getting so angry about it.

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Is he reading it as "off" instead? I'd make a card for each and practice both words. For the words that my son has problems with I make word cards and post them all over the house- on the mirror to practice while he brushes his teeth, on the front door so he says it as we leave etc.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bluecalm: Is he reading it as "off" instead? I'd make a card for each and practice both words. For the words that my son has problems with I make word cards and post them all over the house- on the mirror to practice while he brushes his teeth, on the front door so he says it as we leave etc.

Yes, he does read it as off and we have practiced it side-by-side.

Thank you.  I am writing it on post-it notes on the fridge and bathroom mirror right now!  We will definately try that!  Thank you!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM

That's interesting, I would have suggested putting it with have.  Maybe do the three of those and have him place them in sentences properly. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Quoting hwblyf:

That's interesting, I would have suggested putting it with have.  Maybe do the three of those and have him place them in sentences properly. 

When he sees have and off, he knows them.  It is just of.  He can spell them correctly.  If they are all three choices to a fill in the blank, he'll get it right.  He just has this strange block on this word.  When he's spelling it, he spells it uv.  He knows he's wrong as soon as he says off (especially when reading it in a story!  He says..."off doesn't fit there")  He's gettting so frustrated.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I'd take it off his plate for right now.  His brain has shut down about it, give him permission to rest.  He'll get it one day out of the blue.  :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

When he sees have and off, he knows them.  It is just of.  He can spell them correctly.  If they are all three choices to a fill in the blank, he'll get it right.  He just has this strange block on this word.  When he's spelling it, he spells it uv.  He knows he's wrong as soon as he says off (especially when reading it in a story!  He says..."off doesn't fit there")  He's gettting so frustrated.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Really?  Hmmmm....I'll have to think about that one.  You might be right.  It's just such a commonly used word.  It shows up in most of the easy readers that he's been reading to me.

Quoting hwblyf:

I'd take it off his plate for right now.  His brain has shut down about it, give him permission to rest.  He'll get it one day out of the blue.  :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I am no help my kids still have problems with it sometimes because to them OF should be spelt UV because of the way it sounds!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like you might need to take it out for a week or two and then bring it back. Cole had the same issue with 'THE". I was going nuts.

celtic77dragon
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I struggled with this as a kid and my foster parents put index cards above and below the bathroom light switch - one saying on and one saying off. They suggested I look at the cards when in the bathroom. It might sound weird but it worked! I didnt mistake of and off anymore. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Thank you, everyone!  I am still waffling on whether to post the word on the fridge and in the bathroom or to just take a week or two off on this word.  I think I am going to let Levi decide which one he wants to do right now.  I'm going to give him the options and explanations that ya'all gave me here and let him make the decision.  If he chooses to take a break, I'll give him 2 weeks and put it in the retired words pile-up.  I'll let you all know what he decides!  Thank you so much for all your ideas!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN