Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I need help.  The word of has my middle boy stymied.  It has been on his sight words list for nearly 3 months now(October, November, and January)!  It has been on his spelling list (off and on) for 2 months (November and January, here we are in February and he still doesn't get it).  

I know it's one of the tough ones.  I know that it was misused so often that I would put it on the first list for my 9th and tenth graders every year.  I am starting to get frustrated for him!  I hate watching him struggle with this.  The problem is that he sees it in nearly all of his books.  It's just 2 little letters!  Argh!

Anybody have any ideas?

Here's how we run a Sight Words List:  The first 3 days, I say the words and he repeats them.  Then he reads the word cards 3 times per day.  When he gets the words correct 3 days in a row, he retires the words.  When he has retired most of the 10 words in the stack, I pull out the huge stack of retired words and we do a lightning round.  Usually he gets them all right, every once in a while he needs a review of the retired words.  Anyway, he has never retired the word of.  There are days it is the only word we work on.  We have started on some spelling lists.  They are the simple 2-3 letter words.  We do 8 phonetical words and 2 sight words.  He has never gotten of correct.  I just do not know what to do.  We've tried making games out of it, we've tried copying the word, we've tried using it in sentences (part of the spelling work).  Nothing seems to work.  He is getting so angry about it.

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:07 AM
Replies (11-20):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:56 PM
He will get it. Don't let it get to you. My son had the same problem with "you". We just starting building the word together and soon he had it down pat. We used legos to build it. I would look up creative projects for him to do with the word. You could even use play doh to make the word. just have him listen to you read it for awhile with no pressure. Maybe make posters of the word and put them all over the house.
heydooney
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:14 PM
Have you tried sight word songs on YouTube?
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:50 PM
This... my daughter is going to be six. She has been counting 1-12 since two. However, 13, still throws her. We worked really hard on 13 this yr. Kg. She STILL gets tripped up at 13.

Ffwd.. I kinda gave up on pushing 13. Is learning over 100 now...but still messes up 13.

I just don't want to make it a focal point of stress, so I just decided she will remember 13 by the time she graduates. I just can't let that one number set her in preschool level forever.

Quoting hwblyf:

I'd take it off his plate for right now.  His brain has shut down about it, give him permission to rest.  He'll get it one day out of the blue.  :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

That's interesting, I would have suggested putting it with have.  Maybe do the three of those and have him place them in sentences properly. 

When he sees have and off, he knows them.  It is just of.  He can spell them correctly.  If they are all three choices to a fill in the blank, he'll get it right.  He just has this strange block on this word.  When he's spelling it, he spells it uv.  He knows he's wrong as soon as he says off (especially when reading it in a story!  He says..."off doesn't fit there")  He's gettting so frustrated.

SarahNElijah
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:11 PM
I was going to suggest this too, and then find ways to incorporate 'of' around your home/school areas (like 'word of the day', 'thought of the week', 'question of the day', 'phase of the moon', etc.!)

Quoting celtic77dragon:

I struggled with this as a kid and my foster parents put index cards above and below the bathroom light switch - one saying on and one saying off. They suggested I look at the cards when in the bathroom. It might sound weird but it worked! I didnt mistake of and off anymore. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Exactly.  And really, the more stress and negativity, the more it will continue to be a sticking point.

Quoting KrissyKC: This... my daughter is going to be six. She has been counting 1-12 since two. However, 13, still throws her. We worked really hard on 13 this yr. Kg. She STILL gets tripped up at 13.

Ffwd.. I kinda gave up on pushing 13. Is learning over 100 now...but still messes up 13.

I just don't want to make it a focal point of stress, so I just decided she will remember 13 by the time she graduates. I just can't let that one number set her in preschool level forever.

Quoting hwblyf:

I'd take it off his plate for right now.  His brain has shut down about it, give him permission to rest.  He'll get it one day out of the blue.  :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

That's interesting, I would have suggested putting it with have.  Maybe do the three of those and have him place them in sentences properly. 

When he sees have and off, he knows them.  It is just of.  He can spell them correctly.  If they are all three choices to a fill in the blank, he'll get it right.  He just has this strange block on this word.  When he's spelling it, he spells it uv.  He knows he's wrong as soon as he says off (especially when reading it in a story!  He says..."off doesn't fit there")  He's gettting so frustrated.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Okay guys, this morning I gave him the options.  (I had already put the post-its on the bathroom mirror and the refrigerator.)  He decided to put it away for a while.  He asked me to put it back into the rotation on March 6th giving him exactly one month to just ignore it.  I reminded him that he would still see it in his books.  He told me that the postit note nearly made him cry when he washed his hands this morning.  The frustration level is just too high right now.  So we'll reintroduce it in a month and see where it goes from there.

Thank all of you for your advice and help!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Quoting heydooney: Have you tried sight word songs on YouTube?

I searched and searched for the Of song, but couldn't find it anywhere.   I found loads of other cool songs (we were having problems with the until we found its song)

heydooney
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:28 AM
I realized that, too. There is no "of" song!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I searched and searched for the Of song, but couldn't find it anywhere.   I found loads of other cool songs (we were having problems with the until we found its song)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:45 AM

It is so very sad that I saw you had quoted and thought "YaY! She's going to have the video for me."   I'm so bummed.  LOL  

Quoting heydooney: I realized that, too. There is no "of" song!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

heydooney
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Sorry :/ but there are many people making these videos, perhaps one of them would take a request?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It is so very sad that I saw you had quoted and thought "YaY! She's going to have the video for me."   I'm so bummed.  LOL  

Quoting heydooney: I realized that, too. There is no "of" song!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN