Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I need help.  The word of has my middle boy stymied.  It has been on his sight words list for nearly 3 months now(October, November, and January)!  It has been on his spelling list (off and on) for 2 months (November and January, here we are in February and he still doesn't get it).  

I know it's one of the tough ones.  I know that it was misused so often that I would put it on the first list for my 9th and tenth graders every year.  I am starting to get frustrated for him!  I hate watching him struggle with this.  The problem is that he sees it in nearly all of his books.  It's just 2 little letters!  Argh!

Anybody have any ideas?

Here's how we run a Sight Words List:  The first 3 days, I say the words and he repeats them.  Then he reads the word cards 3 times per day.  When he gets the words correct 3 days in a row, he retires the words.  When he has retired most of the 10 words in the stack, I pull out the huge stack of retired words and we do a lightning round.  Usually he gets them all right, every once in a while he needs a review of the retired words.  Anyway, he has never retired the word of.  There are days it is the only word we work on.  We have started on some spelling lists.  They are the simple 2-3 letter words.  We do 8 phonetical words and 2 sight words.  He has never gotten of correct.  I just do not know what to do.  We've tried making games out of it, we've tried copying the word, we've tried using it in sentences (part of the spelling work).  Nothing seems to work.  He is getting so angry about it.

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:07 AM
Replies (21-21):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Oh that's a much better idea!!  Levi suggested I make one.  I am not that tech saavy!

Quoting heydooney: Sorry :/ but there are many people making these videos, perhaps one of them would take a request?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It is so very sad that I saw you had quoted and thought "YaY! She's going to have the video for me."   I'm so bummed.  LOL  

Quoting heydooney: I realized that, too. There is no "of" song!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting heydooney: Have you tried sight word songs on YouTube?

I searched and searched for the Of song, but couldn't find it anywhere.   I found loads of other cool songs (we were having problems with the until we found its song)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)