Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hello, I'm thinking about homeschooling my son who is almost 8 years old and ADHD. He is currently doing very well in his private school but paying 4,500 a year is really becoming a problem for us :/ I have looked into the K12 program and also doing the current curriculum his school is doing but there is only one problem I also have some learning issues and I didn't graduate... I did call the school board and I can home school him but I'm not sure it's the best thing for him and I don't want him falling behind. We knock heads doing homework so, I can only imagine how all day would go :/ My question is with the curriculum are the lessons planned out and you just follow them or do you do it all on your own?? Also, if you come across something you don't understand what do you do??? I know the higher he goes he will be learning algebra and I had lots of issues in school with this :/ Any advice would be great and thanks!!!

by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:36 AM
Replies (11-20):
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 7, 2014 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't sell yourself short! Have you never learned anything as an adult on your own? I dropped out of high school & have learned more in the years outside of school then I ever did in it!

As far as what to use first learn the laws for your state, if you are in a state that dose not have to test or keep portfolios then you could build your own curriculum from free resources & based off of your sons interest. That is so much better then a boxed curriculum that cost a lot of money & may not teach the way your son learns.

Don't borrow troubles by worrying about something years down the road, you have time to figure those things out before you need to worry about them! So just think about what you need to help him learn now & in the next year!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a diploma, but just barely. The only reason I graduated is because our district had access to a vocational alternative school. Otherwise, my grade average would have continued to drop.

I also, as an adult have been diagnosed bi-polar and adhd. It was brought up I was possibly a high functioning aspergers case. All of these issues and I was emotionally and sometimes physically abused as a kid.

I'm still managing to homeschool well enough. My kids are still learning and growing.
theladyshy
by New Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:22 PM

time4learning.com is what we use.

LoveMyKids0613
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:02 PM

I heard this isn't accredited?

Quoting theladyshy:

theladyshy
by New Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

http://www.time4learning.com/homeschool/how-to-homeschool.shtml

It's good for supplementary education or a primary curriculum. Since we haven't taken my son out of public school yet, he does time for learning after school and on weekends. It's fun for him. :) Once we get in the full swing of homeschooling we will have a primary curriculum that is not online based. But, accredited or not it works. My 6 year old is doing double digit multiplication. Something he would not have learned in his special needs class. They hold him back from using his full potential. What can I say, my boy loves numbers. :)

Quoting LoveMyKids0613:

Quoting theladyshy:

LoveMyKids0613
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Glad he is doing well :) Yeah, my son would have never learned the stuff he knows now in public!!! 

Quoting theladyshy:

http://www.time4learning.com/homeschool/how-to-homeschool.shtml

It's good for supplementary education or a primary curriculum. Since we haven't taken my son out of public school yet, he does time for learning after school and on weekends. It's fun for him. :) Once we get in the full swing of homeschooling we will have a primary curriculum that is not online based. But, accredited or not it works. My 6 year old is doing double digit multiplication. Something he would not have learned in his special needs class. They hold him back from using his full potential. What can I say, my boy loves numbers. :)

Quoting LoveMyKids0613:

Quoting theladyshy:

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:28 PM

You really would have to check it out to know for sure whether or not it would work for your son.  Some people love K12, others not so much.  For me, it was overwhelming, but they did have all the lesson plans laid out for you. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I concur!

OP....
You can do this! Don't sell yourself short. You DO NOT NEED a degree to teach your child the fundamentals of an education or of life. All you need is the willingness and energy and effort to educate your child.

Quoting usmom3:

Don't sell yourself short! Have you never learned anything as an adult on your own? I dropped out of high school & have learned more in the years outside of school then I ever did in it!

As far as what to use first learn the laws for your state, if you are in a state that dose not have to test or keep portfolios then you could build your own curriculum from free resources & based off of your sons interest. That is so much better then a boxed curriculum that cost a lot of money & may not teach the way your son learns.

Don't borrow troubles by worrying about something years down the road, you have time to figure those things out before you need to worry about them! So just think about what you need to help him learn now & in the next year!

LoveMyKids0613
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I want to thank everyone for all the help and support :) After reviewing the comments and speaking with someone local I think I have decided to give it a go :) 

woohoo

coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Good for you!!!  This is a journey....not an easy one, but one that I am growing to love everyday.

Quoting LoveMyKids0613:

I want to thank everyone for all the help and support :) After reviewing the comments and speaking with someone local I think I have decided to give it a go :) 

woohoo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)