Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Adding in a foreign language?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 5:29 AM
  • 17 Replies

My son is showing a lot of interest in learning Spanish. He's been asking repeatedly since we started homeschooling. I know K12 offers a course but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. 

Oh he is about to turn 8 and in 2nd grade. Thank you in advance. 

by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 5:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chillisarah
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

We use Muzzy Online for my dd.  She is in Kindergarten. http://libraries.muzzyonline.com/

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Bump for ideas. I'd like to know too.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:36 PM

My son is 3 and wants to learn french.  My daughter is 12 and is learning Japanese.  I've yet to find a program for either I like enough to spend a lot on it.  I look at Rainbow Resource for programs.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 7, 2014 at 2:27 PM

One of my husband's best friends is Hispanic & speaks Spanish fluently. So when they where showing interest in learning some Spanish they would just talk to him & ask him about it!

Codysmom2106
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 2:38 PM

That's awesome!

Quoting usmom3:

One of my husband's best friends is Hispanic & speaks Spanish fluently. So when they where showing interest in learning some Spanish they would just talk to him & ask him about it!

Codysmom2106
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Thanks ladies for all of the ideas!

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 7, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Yeah! He speaks English fluently too but when he tells story's about his childhood or family he uses a mix of both Spanish & English because a lot of his relatives only speak Spanish. He was great about giving definitions for the Spanish words so we all learned a lot from just listening to his stories!

Quoting Codysmom2106:

That's awesome!

Quoting usmom3:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 2:51 PM

We do Spanish lessons a couple times a week.  My oldest had a desire then my middle decided it would be nice if they could both speak it.  

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Definitely start now.  This is my favorite hobby-horse. If you start young, and are consistent, your children will be fluent by 18 (which is always my goal).   

I like Muzzy (suggested by a previous poster).  RosettaStone is also good.  Both are expensive but are well done.  We have used both of these extensively.

However, it is impossible to learn a foreign language, especially in 2nd grade, only from media -- even good media.  You need to have someone working with your child -- speaking to him, reading to him, and making him speak back with corrections, just like you do for him in English.  

We've used a number of methods to accomplish this over the years.   With our oldest, it was pre-internet when we started 21 years ago.  We hired tutors to come twice a week.  Yes, it was expensive, but when he got to college he tested so high on the Spanish entrance exam they put him into "Spanish for Heritage Speakers" -- the class for native Spanish-speaking kids who hadn't  necessarily done a lot of formal grammar, learned how to write a paper or do a presentation in Spanish.  He was the only Anglo in the class. He's worked all the time he's been in college (bike mechanic) and one of his employers has specifically commented on his ability to communicate with Spanish-speaking customers.   

With our middle son we were fortunate because a Spanish enrichment school opened in the next town over.  We still used tutors, but he had the added advantage of more classes and exposure (and we had the advantage of a cheaper program).  We use online tutors found through http://www.edufire.com/ and http://www.esaudio.net/.   He's fluent at 14. He reads books in Spanish for pleasure.  He's halfway through an AP course in Spanish Language (with an "A" -- his easiest class).  He attributes his success to the tutors and classes, but also to intentionally finding Spanish language programs on line (he loves certain Spanish situation comedy shows) and watching them and DISCUSSING them with his teachers/tutors.   

Our daughter is not quite at his level, but is getting there (she actually prefers Japanese to Spanish, which may have something to do with it).  We have done the same thing in Japanese for all our kids -- with the addition of hiring a Japanese au pair, which has especially helped with the little one.

Our little one is also fluent for his age.  We use the classes and a formal tutor (and Muzzy -- no Rosetta this time for Spanish, although he does use it for Japanese) but we also advertised at the local college for a native speaker of Spanish who would like to play several hours a week with a (then) four year old.  We found a wonderful guy who took Thomas out to the park and for yogurt for four hours each week.  He read to Thomas (and ultimately had Thomas read to him), worked with him on writing. When he graduated, he introduced us to one of his friends, and she took over, and so it goes. 

So, my suggestion is that you advertise at the local college for someone who can play with your kids.  Make sure that they are native speakers with an educated accent.  Get books in Spanish from the local library so that the tutor can read to your child and teach your child to read.

See if there is a play group for Spanish or a school, but make sure that they use Spanish-only.  At this age, that's critical for learning. 

If necessary, use an on-line tutor.

Use Muzzy and/or Rosetta and/or the Spanish language tracks on movies, etc. as supplements. 

Be consistent, and it's likely that your child will be bilingual. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)