Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Who Do YOU Think 'Won' The Debate?

'Science Guy' Bill Nye's Epic Evolution Debate: 10 Best Quotes

by Jill Baughman

ken ham bill nyeWanna know the two topics that should most definitely be brought up at every dinner conversation no matter with whom you're eating? Why, religion and evolution, of course. No topic, perhaps besides abortion, is more divisive, and the great creationism vs. evolution conundrum is making headlines today thanks to a recent debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham. Bill, best known as "Bill Nye the Science Guy," is an American science educator, while Ken, an Australian native, is the founder of the Creation Museum. And last night at 7 p.m. ET, the two went at it.

There's no doubt about it: Regardless of who "won" the debate, there's very little chance that your mind will be changed about the subject.

But we might as well go over five quotes from each guy so you can see some highlights from the debate for yourself. Enjoy!

Ken Ham:

1. "Darwin wasn't just thinking about species ... Darwin had a much bigger picture in mind ... The word 'evolution' has been hijacked."

2. "The Bible says God created in six days ... From Adam to Abraham -- you've got 2,000 years from Abraham to Christ, 2,000 years from Christ to the present, 2,000 years. That's how we reach 6,000 years."

3. "The Bible is the word of God. I admit that's where I start from."

4. He argued Nye confused the terms "species" and "kind" -- "kind" is used by creationists to describe groups of animals.

"We're not saying species got on the ark. We're saying kinds."

5. "I would also say that natural laws haven't changed. As I talked about, we have the laws of logic, the uniformity of nature -- and that only makes sense within a biblical worldview anyway."

Bill Nye:

1. "If we accept Mr. Ham's point of view ... that the Bible serves as a science text and he and his followers will interpret that for you, I want you to consider what that means ... It means that Mr. Ham's word is to be more respected than what you can observe in nature, what you can find in your backyard in Kentucky."

2. "Snow ice forms over the winter. We find certain of these cylinders to have 680,000 layers -- 680,000 snow winter/summer cycles ... How could it be that just 4,000 years ago, all of this ice formed?"

3. "I just want to remind us all there are billions of people in the world who are deeply religious, who get enriched by the wonderful sense of community by their religion. But these same people do not embrace the extraordinary view that the Earth is somehow only 6,000 years old."

4. "And by the way, if this great flood drained through the Grand Canyon, wouldn't there have been a Grand Canyon on every continent?"

5. "You never, ever, find a higher animal mixed in with a lower one. You never find a lower one trying to swim its way to the higher one."

Personal feelings about this issue aside, it's great to see this debate getting so much attention. The more we can educate ourselves and have intelligent conversations, the better. How else can we answer questions like: Where do we come from? Where do we go when we die? What is the answer to life, the universe, and everything? (Obviously it's 42.)

For whatever reason, video of the debate has been having issues, but hopefully it will come back up later today so you can see the entire, extremely long debate for yourself:

Who do you think won the debate?

by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 1:31 PM
Replies (11-11):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Neither.  They were arguing 2 different points.  Bill Nye wasn't arguing whether there is a place in science for the people who believe that the earth is young.  He was arguing whether young earth is a viable theory.  Ken Ham wasn't arguing whether evolution or creation was a viable theory, he was really arguing that there is a place for the people who believe that young earth is a viable theory in the scientific community.

Since only Bill Nye gave ME and my beliefs a place at the table, then of course I am more likely to believe that he "won" the debate, but Ken Ham got all this coverage for his museum, he got an "evolutionist" to debate him so therefore put young earth creationism back in the "fold," and he got his "grace-message" out to many more people giving himself a bunch of feathers in his cap.  So who won?  Neither really.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)