Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is homeschooling easier or harder than you thought it was going to be?

Posted by   + Show Post

If you could go back and tell yourself to 'DO IT' or "DONT DO IT" which would it be?

by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:55 PM
Replies (21-30):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 12:10 PM

BTW....Great question Mem!

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I would tell myself to do it sooner but it was both easier in some ways and harder in other ways than I expect. It was so worth it though.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Easier in so many ways.  I was overwhelmed wondering how I would teach her to read.  You have no idea how funny that is now because I have no idea how she's doing it but she's reading like crazy!

I also thought handwriting would be a nightmare since she can't sit still, she LOVES writing.

The hard part is getting organized myself and having stuff ready to go to hand to her to work on.  Her attention span is so short that sometimes I miss the boat because I'm not as prepared as I should be.

The other hard part is trying to do it all.  Be mom, teacher, cleaner, cook, bill payer, vacation planner, etc

kmath
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 1:19 PM

I'd do it again in a heartbeat!  I love homeschooling.  I thought it would be pretty hard, but it isn't as bad as I thought it would be.  DS likes having me as a teacher and I really like doing the teaching.  I still need to learn to relax a little more, but other than that I am so happy with the way things are going.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 1:59 PM
Do it sooner. I've never had regrets or second thoughts.
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Much easier than I thought it'd be in some ways. I thought there might be a lot more attitude and resistance from my ds. But he pretty much jumps in every day and gets done everything I ask.

The part that is harder is I thought we'd have so much free time fo crafts, activities, play, games, learning to cook, etc, etc., than we actually do have. I guess I'm still very much in a mode of "I'm going to make this kid so smart" because I have a hard time skipping stuff that kinda text-booky, like spelling, grammar, vocab, reading practice, math... for more hands-on stuff and child led activities.

I plan to do it again next year, and hope to either relax a little more, or plan ahead for more authentic learning activities over rote practice.

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I would do it again, only this time it'd be without hesitation!! I'd JUMP SHIP from public school faster than I could bat an eye if I knew then what I knew now.  I would not have let my son languish with poor educational provisioning, bullying, and all kinds of other issues.  Homeschooling was WAY WAY easier than I thought it'd be, it has been a blessing beyond compare, and has provided my boys a much better educational outcome than our school had predicted !! If you want to read our story, check it out.

Quoting mem82:

If you could go back and tell yourself to 'DO IT' or "DONT DO IT" which would it be?

SandyKC
M.S. Instructional Design, Veteran Homeschooling Mom of "Light of My Life" Boys,
Special Education Advocate, Author, Academic Achievement Consultant

bether89
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I would go back and tell myself to do it earlier than we did.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Some days it's easier, some days it's harder. :) If I could go back though, I would definitely encourage me to do it.  It has made such a difference in our lives.  My only regret is going from homeschool to private to public to homeschool. I wish we had just made the decision to homeschool and stuck with it.  On the other hand, I have very definite reasons now for homeschooling, so I have no "what if" moments.

ambcortez
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:37 PM

If I could go back, I would've started teaching DS when he was in Kindergarten instead of listening to DH who insisted he go to public. I proved to practically everyone that I could do it because it was something I really wanted to do. I went in with no support and I'm proud of myself. It's actually easier than I thought it would be and even now teaching DD as well, I've got a routine and we're doing great.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN