Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

DS finished 2nd grade English last week!  Woo-Hoo, this kid rocks.  So now we can either go ahead and move on to third grade or take a couple weeks off and get caught up in history and science.  I know what I am going to do, but I just wanted to see what everyone else would do.  Taking the couple weeks off doesn't mean NO english, just means more fun things like Madlibs and some grammar games to make sure he doesn't forget anything. 

by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 1:34 PM
Replies (11-20):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I would probably continue on because I would fear I would go longer than the few week break I know how I tend to be
kmath
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 4:35 PM

LOL, that is a legit concern.  I don't think I will have a problem getting back into it as long as I set a start date and stick with it.

Quoting ablackdolphin: I would probably continue on because I would fear I would go longer than the few week break I know how I tend to be

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd catch up on the rest but continue the fun things like the Madlibs that were mentioned (my kids love those!)

ambcortez
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmm. I guess it depends on what type of schooling you're doing. Mine's based on a cirriculum, so all the lessons are already planned out (which means when we get behind, it can be difficult to get caught back up). If he's finished with English, I don't see why taking a break would hurt. Maybe take a few weeks off to recuperate, then go from there.

collinsmommy0
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Awesome! I would take time off
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this
If he's working on projects then he is using English since using using informational resources and writing for different purposes are both components of Language Arts.
kmath
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 7:49 PM

LOL, Madlibs are one of his favorite things ever!

Quoting Pukalani79:

I'd catch up on the rest but continue the fun things like the Madlibs that were mentioned (my kids love those!)

kmath
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine is ecclectic, I use books and things but we can go at any pace we want. 

Quoting ambcortez:

Hmm. I guess it depends on what type of schooling you're doing. Mine's based on a cirriculum, so all the lessons are already planned out (which means when we get behind, it can be difficult to get caught back up). If he's finished with English, I don't see why taking a break would hurt. Maybe take a few weeks off to recuperate, then go from there.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 8, 2014 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I would do this! Like you said, English can be incorporated into those subjects.

Quoting kmath:

He really wants to finish up some history projects we haven't had time for and play with his new microscope.  I could probably find a way to incorperate English into either of those two subjects so he didn't forget everything before we started up again.

Quoting jen2150: I would ask him what he would like to work on. Maybe come up with some fun choices that he would enjoy.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Take the time off for sure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN