Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Interesting Facts.... Did YOU Know .....

Posted by   + Show Post
That the eye of an Ostrich is bigger than it's brain?

What interesting Facts do You know?

undefined

by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 1:55 PM
Replies (11-18):
elizabooks
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:40 AM
2 moms liked this
Cockroaches fart more than anyliving thing on the planet.
romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Most little boys would love knowing this. 

Quoting elizabooks: Cockroaches fart more than anyliving thing on the planet.

TidewaterClan
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Multiple male angler fish fuse to the female like parasites for their entire lives.  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:54 AM
2 moms liked this

Multiple male snakes "wrestle" for the right to mate with a female snake forming a mating ball.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Some snakes' jaws unhinge both top to bottom and the bottom jaw unjoins in the center in order for the snake to swallow extremely big prey.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:56 AM
2 moms liked this

The longest snake (that they've found to date) in history is called Titanaboa.  It was roughly 48 feet long and made meals of 15 foot crocodiles!

TidewaterClan
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:25 AM
3 moms liked this

Vultures are my favorite bird.  They're smart, and extremely necessary.  Who else would clean up all of those carcasses?  Enjoy that beautiful walk in the woods? Then thank a vulture today!

Vultures sit out in the sun to sterilize their heads after a meal.

They urinate on their legs and feet to kill bacteria.

Their stomach acid is far more potent than other animals; this allows them to eat carcasses that are past the point of no return for anything else.

Vultures vomit if frightened.  It lightens their bodies for a quick getaway and (amazingly!) sends their attackers into retreat mode.

They do fly in circles on thermals because their wingspan is so great.  It's easier to glide than flap.  Once they find a carcass they're on it immediately (they don't circle it as myth states).

This fellow right here is Ralph, and he is my favorite vulture of all time.  He was born in 1970 and was part of Miami University's Vulture Study.  When they finished he was too tame to be placed in the wild, so went to Hueston Woods Raptor Program.  I LOVE going to see him when we go camping.  One year he sat in his water dish all day.  The keepers just thought he was hot, but he actually loosened his leather tethers and got free, lol.  He swooped down on picnic tables at the campground and stole hot dogs all summer long.  They never thought they'd catch him, but when the first frosty day of fall hit he flew right back to his perch. smile

I hope you don't mind such a long reply in your post Sonja, but vultures are near and dear to my heart.  :) 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 10:23 AM
2 moms liked this

I've never seen such a loving description of vultures!  LOL!  That's awesome!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Vultures are my favorite bird.  They're smart, and extremely necessary.  Who else would clean up all of those carcasses?  Enjoy that beautiful walk in the woods? Then thank a vulture today!

Vultures sit out in the sun to sterilize their heads after a meal.

They urinate on their legs and feet to kill bacteria.

Their stomach acid is far more potent than other animals; this allows them to eat carcasses that are past the point of no return for anything else.

Vultures vomit if frightened.  It lightens their bodies for a quick getaway and (amazingly!) sends their attackers into retreat mode.

They do fly in circles on thermals because their wingspan is so great.  It's easier to glide than flap.  Once they find a carcass they're on it immediately (they don't circle it as myth states).

This fellow right here is Ralph, and he is my favorite vulture of all time.  He was born in 1970 and was part of Miami University's Vulture Study.  When they finished he was too tame to be placed in the wild, so went to Hueston Woods Raptor Program.  I LOVE going to see him when we go camping.  One year he sat in his water dish all day.  The keepers just thought he was hot, but he actually loosened his leather tethers and got free, lol.  He swooped down on picnic tables at the campground and stole hot dogs all summer long.  They never thought they'd catch him, but when the first frosty day of fall hit he flew right back to his perch. smile

I hope you don't mind such a long reply in your post Sonja, but vultures are near and dear to my heart.  :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)