Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Im taking the dive!!!!!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 9:39 PM
  • 6 Replies

im taking the dive into unschooling my kids throwing out the workbooks and allowing my kids choose what they want to do. my anxity level is so high right now but i know its right i really got to thining that i have been doing it with m son for the last year without realising what i was doing it. I know that letting go of the dreadful checcklist of wherre they are in learning is gonna be really hard for me i have this unhealthy drive to try to make sure my kids are right on target in the age and stuff. in fact i have been freaking out the last 6 months cuz my special needs boy is (technically) behind considerably he is turning 6 and still dont know his abc but is slowly getting the numbers thing down kinda gettting colors too but latelly i have been noticing small stuff with him organizing my cupcake wrappers by the color red,blue,green, and yellow he is trying to count and getting real darn close too. he is also takin a intreast in reading so much more and is asking to keep the light on at night to "read" lol ends up falling asleep with the books and I have sat hm down a handful in the last year for school andhe learns ok but with his sp its very hard to get him to focus and alot of the time he does not quite understand what im asking him to do either their is a hige comunication rift there that i have to work around constintly this last year alone i have been homescholing him i have been unschooling him from the very start without realising it its insane.

by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
letstalk747
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 10:41 PM

wow , so how are - have you been doing it- just not being so on targetish or ?

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:16 AM
Congratulations. Remember to take it slow. There are many levels of unschooling. Find the balance that works. Also remember workbooks and curriculum only become negative when they are forced. I actually use curriculum. Have a back up plan for everything. Many times I will have many options for them to chose from. Love to hear how it has been going!
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Awesome!  Just Awesome!  :-)

tinkerspell
by Kera on Feb. 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM

i read to him alot! i also point out letters and we count anything and everything we do colors by the color of his t shirt lol his cars and legos we sing the abc when he is upset so he hears that one alot i have been stressing alot over how he wont do sit down work but have had alot of evedence lately that what im doing is getting to him lol

Quoting letstalk747:

wow , so how are - have you been doing it- just not being so on targetish or ?

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 10, 2014 at 1:49 PM

That is great! As you do this you will begin to see him do things that you had no idea he knew how to do! Take some time to deschoolyourself that will help with the panic you are feeling!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Congrats! I unschool too. My advice is, take it slow, have fun and don't be afraid to add some structure as needed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)