Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you give an example of a days worth of work?

Posted by   + Show Post

Sorry for the 101 posts, but it is helping me get some thoughts flowing get some anxiety off me!!

So can you share an example of a day worth of lesson plans?

by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:48 PM
Replies (11-20):
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 2:23 AM

We spend about 2 hours on the daily formal academics and then ds pursues his own interests the rest of the day.  Here's what our week looks like:

Mon/Wed/Fri:  Math, Literature, Poetry, Writing, History, Spanish

Tue/Thu:  Math, Literature, Poetry, Geography, Science, Spanish

The afternoons, evenings, and weekends are full of computer programming, mixed martial arts classes, field trips, a weekly religion class, and informal lessons on subjects like:  health, finance, practical arts, library skills, safety, etc.

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Preschooler: 

Bead Lacing

Bible Story

Dot Marker Worksheets

Cutting Practice

Read a Valentine's book

Make Valentines Day cards

Valentine themed Sensory Bin - free play

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:28 AM

I need to do that. We have the same schedule more or less every week. It would be so much easier to have it all written down for the week (in pencil of course,lol)

Quoting JadeTigr7:

This is our schedule for the week.  We do more of a block scheduling type thing.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

For my 14 year old

Online math practice- Xtramath.org

Math- 1 Chapter of Life of Fred 

LA- 1 Chapter of Life of Fred Australia

Reading- Free choice for 1hr (usually at bedtime)

History- 1 Chapter of Vikings. Summarize in history notebook

Science- 1 Chapter of Ants. Summarize in Science notebook

Writing- Notebooks

Home Ec- Cooking class or Art- drawing, painting, clay or Science projects

Sundays are our free choice day. The kids can pick whatever work they want to do. My dd is interested in making a movie this Sunday starring her friends, brother and sister and posting it on YouTube.

*The kids have Wednesdays and Saturdays off

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:53 AM

For my 9 year old

Math- 1 chapter Life of Fred

Computer skills- Online comic booking

Writing- Paper comic booking *we alternate between the two

Reading- Just happens naturally throughout the day

Science- 1 chapter of Ants. Summerized and dictated to me, written in his notebook

History- 1 chapter of Vikings. Summerized and dictated to me, written in his notebook

Home-ec, Art, and science projects alternate.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Feb. 11, 2014 at 11:27 AM

For my 3rd and 4th graders - Math, Language Arts, Reading daily.  For my 6th graders - Math, History, Language Arts, Reading daily.

My 4th and 6th graders also do music every day.

They all do science twice a week

Jlee4249
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Ours are 5 & 8.  Every morning, there's math, language arts, spelling/writing practice, and a short story or article from a science magazine. 

then after lunch we do our block stuff:

Mondays my 5yo plays while my 8yo works through the civil war (history).

Tuesdays is science & we're doing body organs/systems.

Wednesday is Geography.  We study one state and one country per month.

Thursdays catch-up day (and errand day) and reading our chapter books.

Friday is journals and animal studies.

Sat&Sun is Art & Music 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 6:45 PM
Dd7

Math- Teaching textbooks 2 lessons

Lit- we are currently using easy peasy and she does 1 lesson a day

Spelling - Monday- Pretest (write missed words 5 times each.
Tuesday thru Thursday- a worksheet a day
Friday- final test

History and science we do about 2 times a week we watch videos, read books, do projects and sometimes worksheets for these subjects.

Writing- she is working on cursive and is writing a comic book currently.

Dd6

Math- she is doing a daily lesson from easy peasy till her math u see comes in.

Lit- easy peasy 1 lesson per day

Spelling, history and science- see above

Writing- we are working on making her print nicer and she is also making a comic book.

Ds5

Math- a lesson from Saxon k

Lit and writing- We are currently reading a fairy tale. Then he draws a picture, dictates a sentence and then copies it.

Phonics- till his books get here he is reading a book to me daily and doing worksheets.

Science and history- see above

Dd3

Math- see Ds5

Lit and writing- see Ds5

Phonics- we are practicing recognizing our letters through reading and worksheets.

Science and history- see above

Thursday is co-op day
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:47 PM

For the seven-year-old today:

Reading (normally it's a section from McGuffey, but today we worked on syllables).

Typing

Piano: practice and theory, plus on line program for learning notes.

Violin: practice

Japanese: RosettaStone plus group class

Math: 2 pages from Singapore workbook; two speed tests (multiplication and add/sub); IXL (computer drills)

Geography: Africa -- learning countries and locations.

History: 2 chapters (He insisted he wanted to read another chapter.  This also qualifies as reading.)

Writing: Dictation (in cursive)

Spelling

We were going to do some Latin, but the book disappeared, and he had to leave for Japanese.  Oh well, tomorrow is another day....

Jilectan
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I always try not to read threads like these, because then I always feel like a slacker, lol, but I can't stay away!

My DS(9): 1 lesson of Saxon math 5/4; cursive writing practice (we just finished going through the entire alphabet in lower case and we're reviewing this week); 30 minutes of vocabulary work; 2 chapters of his reading book (right now, it's the Bobbsey Twins at the Seashore). I'm going to add him working on multiplication facts probably next week, because he's not as good at that as he ought to be.

DD(7): 1 page of Math Mammoth (if we're lucky, she's quickly getting bored with it, I had the same problem with DS, but I'm not sure what to replace it with and she's not ready for Saxon 5/4 yet); cursive practice (she's doing much better at focusing on this than she did with printing because she thinks it's pretty and looks like the writing in My Little Pony--she's writing the lessons from McGuffey's Primer and is on to lesson 2) however much of phonics practice I can get her to do (using McGuffey's Eclectic Primer, Phonics and Reading with McGuffey android app or Montessori words and phonics). She's not reading well, yet, although she's doing better than I realized or has gotten much better, recently, but she can't read a book on her own, yet.

DD(4): Whatever I can get her to do, be it a maze or coloring or one of the phonics apps or a Kumon basic skills workbook. She's 4, it's not something I'm pushing, yet.

We're using a self-teaching method called the Robinson Curriculum that focuses on the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic, so the goal is to get them working as independly as possible. DS is getting there, but we've only been doing this since November and we're still adjusting. It uses a lot of public domain books, because of the vocabulary level in a lot of the older books. DS has been thriving on this, no more arguements about not wanting to do something, he just does it.

DD(7) isn't ready for a lot of self-instruction yet, but I'm hoping we'll be able to do that with her when she's ready, too. We do add things on after the 'official' school work, like watching Horrible Histories on youtube or something (they love that show!) but that's really it for the subjects. DS takes about 4-5 hours, 5 days a week with the whole thing, then about 2 hours with the math portion one day. DD(7) takes 1-2 hours on a good day, broken down into segments with breaks, all day on bad days, with most of it spent with me telling her to get back over and work on her stuff.

HTH

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)